INTERMITTENT START PROBLEMS

1995 Chrysler New Yorker

PeggyRaccoon

May, 10, 2009 AT 9:27 PM

1995 Chrysler New Yorker 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Last year the ignition coil was replaced because of intermittent start problems. Actually, two O'Reilly ones were put in and both were supposedly defective. I had to pay for three installations of the ignition coil. The last mechanic also put a new timing belt on it. Still had a few times it wouldn't start afterwards, but now it won't start at all. It did a cough the last time it started and died. It has 218,000 miles on it.

Jacobandnickolas

May, 11, 2009 AT 7:15 AM

I need you to check to see if there is spark and fuel to the engine.

Let me know what you find. Also, has the check engine light come on?

PeggyRaccoon

May, 11, 2009 AT 7:40 AM

It was spark/fueling and has plugs and wires a year old. The check engine light has fluctuated on & off for several years. Last year the computer diagnostic showed the ignition coil, but it was then replaced 3 times. The car would run fine and then just not start every few months. Let it sit a week or so and it would start. Presently, nothing. I have to get it towed to a reliable mechanic and in this area that is a problem.

If I could get it to start, I'd have more choices of where to take it. Someone suggested it may be the crank shaft sensor.

Jacobandnickolas

May, 11, 2009 AT 12:13 PM

If you have spark and fuel, either the timing is out or the compression is too low for it to start. Have you checked compression?

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe