Yes, belt still there.
When I made it home after the car overheated, both electric fans were not working. I checked the rad/fan fuse under the hood and it was blown, so I replaced the fuse. As soon as I turned on the ac the compressor engaged and the passenger side fan came on, but I started smelling something burning and shut the car off. That fuse I had just changed was extremely hot and almost blew again. Today a friend came over and we put the fuse back in and tried to get the ac to kick on, or the fuse to blow, or the burning smell to return, but the only thing it does is idle up/down a bit when I switch the ac on and off inside the car. Now the compressor will not come back on and the passenger side fan does not run. I'm guessing that fan only runs when the ac is running?
Sorry to make this so long, but I want to give you just a little more history --- About 20,000 miles ago the electric fans were replaced with new ones. The ac has had a leak in the top gasket for about that long. I've had to put a can in about once a week. Then, about a week ago I paid an ac shop to replace the gasket and they checked everything, all good. It's been working fine until yesterday when it just started blowing hot air going down the road, then overheated because the fans had quit.
I can take it back to the ac shop, but I would really like to see if I can find the problem before spending any more money. What do you think would make the fuse blow in the first place? Like I said I got the ac to engage when I changed the fuse yesterday, but then something burnt and now it won't come back on and the fuse doesn't blow either. I'll check to see if power going to ac tomorrow and get back to you, but any other info you can help with will be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, July 9th, 2008 AT 9:57 PM