POWER STEERING BELT REPLACEMENT

2000 Chrysler Cirrus

nothinbutdave

October, 15, 2008 AT 6:15 PM

2000 Chrysler Cirrus 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90,000 miles

Hi. I am not sure if I have the correct engine of wheel drive. But I know the car is a 2000 Chrysler Cirrus.

I am trying to replace the belt that drives the power steering fluid pump. This belt connects only the pump to the crankshaft damper (it is a two belt system. The other, larger belt runs all of the other accessories).

My problem is that I do not see a belt tensioner and seriously doubt there is one. So how do I get the new belt on? Do I have to take out or loosen the power steering fluid pump? I see no other way b/c it is only connected to the crankshaft damper, and I don't think the crankshaft damper should be loosened. I have uploaded the belt routing in a picture.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/256644_Belt_Routing_2000_Chrysler_Cirrus_1.jpg

Changing Drive Belt

Zackman

October, 15, 2008 AT 11:54 PM

You need to work from underneath the vehicle. You will see, on the back side of the pulley, two (I if remember right) 15mm bolts, one on top and the other almost right at the bottom. You don't have enough clearance to use a ratchet, have to use box end wrench. Loosen those two, the pump will move freely. To tighten, attach 1/2" ratchet or breaker bar push until tight, and tighten the bolts.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chrysler
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue