3 SET OF REAR BRAKES (AND ROTORS) WORE

1999 Chrysler Cirrus

bmheino

April, 22, 2008 AT 12:03 PM

Brakes problem
1999 Chrysler Cirrus 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 143 miles

rear driver side rotor/brake problem?

3 sets of rear brakes (and rotors) wore down. This happened 3 times in the last 8 months. My brake pads wear down real fast, and start to wreck the rotor, the outer brake pad wears down long before the inner.

Ive changed the calipers 2 times.
Been through 3 rotors
Been through 3 sets of brake pads (even high performance pads).

after each change of parts the car drives fin for about a week, and then a burning smell starts and stops from time to time.

Could it be my hub bearing assembly, could it be warped?

Jacobandnickolas

October, 5, 2008 AT 10:01 PM

Hi: It has nothing to do with the bearing. If the outter pad goes before the inner, most likely the caliper is sticking. If you replaced them, and they are doing the same thing, try replacing the rubber brake hose that connects to the caliper. Many times, after years and miles get on a vehicle, the inside of the hose breaks down and will allow pressure to go one way, but prevent it from returning. As a result, the brake keeps pressure on the rotor. Does there seem to be a substantial amount of heat coming from the rear brakes?

Let me know how it goes for you.

Zackman

October, 14, 2008 AT 11:52 PM

And while you are at it, check your parking brake. Make sure that both side are released when the parking brake handle is down.

Steering Wheel Shakes? Rotors Could Be Warped
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Light Bulb Replacement Subaru Legacy
Brake Light Bulb Replacement
Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear