1996 Chrysler Cirrus no drive no reverse GO TO 2 PAGE

BOBBY LANCASTER
  • 1996 CHRYSLER CIRRUS

1996 Chrysler Cirrus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

when engine is cold I have drive and reverse, as soon as the engine gets hot I have no drive or reverse. Fluid is over filled maybe 1/4 to 1/2 qt. The trans fluid is dark, some material in pan. There is no check engine light. The coolant is coming out of the overflow and radiator cap. Looks like thermostat is opening. Coolant pressure builds up fans kicks on then hose relaxes, but coolant still comes out the overflow and cap. Probly two different problems. I think the torque converter is bad. Not getting a check engine lite so the TCC should be ok. Could not find a test port to check the pressure. Maybe send diagram.

Sunday, April 11th, 2010 AT 4:59 PM

BOBBY LANCASTER

[quote="bobby lancaster"]Transmission problem

when engine is cold I have drive and reverse, as soon as the engine gets hot I have no drive or reverse. Fluid is over filled maybe 1/4 to 1/2 qt. The trans fluid is dark, some material in pan. There is no check engine light. The coolant is coming out of the overflow and radiator cap. Looks like thermostat is opening. Coolant pressure builds up fans kicks on then hose relaxes, but coolant still comes out the overflow and cap. Probly two different problems. I think the torque converter is bad. Not getting a check engine lite so the TCC should be ok. Could not find a test port to check the pressure. I'll probly have to tear the transmission down to inspect. Could you send me exploded view of valve body and enternal trans and torque specs. Its 2.5 eng. W/overdrive trans.

Monday, April 12th, 2010 AT 7:35 AM
MERLIN2021

Tranny having particles in the pan is a bad sign. Could be clutch material. The pump may work enough to move when cold, but the fluid thins a bit when warm, and the pump looses it's effectiveness. Any discoloration of the antifreeze? If it looks like a milk shake(strawberry) it could be the answer to both issues, the tranny cooler tank on the radiator may have cracked internally.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 12:46 PM
BOBBY LANCASTER

Are you saying the pump is bad. Could you send me exploded view of valve body, check ball location and internal trans.

Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 4:12 PM
MERLIN2021

It's possible. Testing required. I will look for your charts. Check your email later.

Tuesday, April 13th, 2010 AT 4:21 PM
BOBBY LANCASTER

Took trans out, disassembled pump and the gears are burnt and the torque converter hub is burnt. The clutches look good. Suggest replacing pump and torque converter?

Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 1:47 PM
MERLIN2021

Definitely!

Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 2:02 PM
BOBBY LANCASTER

Why would the pump and torque converter be scored and burnt there were no fluid leaks. It is a rebuilt trans. There is an oil cooler bypass valve. Should I look for something else. Good diagrams, thanks.

Wednesday, April 14th, 2010 AT 6:15 PM
MERLIN2021

I dont know how many miles are on it, but the screen may have clogged, or an engine overheat, or low/old fluid.

Thursday, April 15th, 2010 AT 12:56 PM
BOBBY LANCASTER

Replaced pump and torque converter new filter and fluid. Works great. Thanks for your help. GO TO NEXT PAGE> GO TO NEXT PAGE.

Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 6:40 PM
MERLIN2021

Great! Good work Bobby.

Friday, April 16th, 2010 AT 7:43 PM