2002 Chrysler 300 possible transmission rebuild?

• 2002 CHRYSLER 300

2002 Chrysler 300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

Hi there,

I just received word from AAMCO transmission that they need to take my transmission apart - my car was stalling upon stopping unless I put it in neutral. They found chocolate chip sized metals in the "pan" so they think it is an internal problem.
Another mechanic tried using the codes to diagnose it and it came up PO700 but then he tried to test further and it came back "no codes present" and it would not reset.
The transmission place believes I need a torque converter and possible soft parts overhaul depending what they find. They quoted be about $1800 for this.

Any advice on what to do? Should I have this done?

Thursday, September 17th, 2009 AT 1:00 PM

If they fond metal parts that big in the pan, there is internal damage. As far as the chips, they could be coming from the torque converter, so I can't say they are keeping anything from you. Also, when it is apart, for the cost of new clutches (soft parts), I would have them replaced too.

Also, if they are going to do it for 1800.00, that isn't a bad price.

Thursday, September 17th, 2009 AT 9:33 PM