2000 Chrysler 300 can an improperly installed timing belt c

• 1 POST
  • 2000 CHRYSLER 300

2000 Chrysler 300 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

I recently had my timing belt and water pump replaced. My wife noticed the next couple of days an unusual amount of exhaust from the car while driving. When she went to start the car a loud noise like a gunshot came from under the hood. The shop says the car backfired through the engine. The backfire caused the plastic manifold to crack. I believe this is what he said. My question is; can an improperly installed timing belt cause a backfire?

The shop says they need to replace the manifold before even finding out what the problem is. That fix alone is around $800. Then they will need to find what the cause of the backfire was. My wife and I have put several thousand into the car in the past year and a half. We are running out of money like many other people in this country. Could this backfire been caused by the replacement of the timing belt.

Monday, March 30th, 2009 AT 8:57 AM

If the timing was out, it could cause a backfire.

Sunday, May 3rd, 2009 AT 7:29 PM