Truck back firing after valve ajustment

NEWROADHOUSE
  • CHEVROLET TRUCK
I have a 1982 chevy c-10 pick up with 117000 miles. Has a straight 6 250 motor. 2 wheel drive. Was replacing valve cover gasket and decided to adjust valves. After I was completed the motor turns over and wont start. There is some serious back firing happening. Please help me resolve this.

Thank you
Jim
Thursday, August 30th, 2007 AT 10:22 AM

You misadjusted it-the valves are opening when not supposed to, in other words its too tight. Manually turn engine over Put the no.1 cylinder on TDC compression stroke-adjust the no.1 and follow the firing order. I would guess the F/O is 153624. When done adjust the ignition timing and curb idle. Note: adjusting the valves will change the ignition timing, its a must you retime it.
Thursday, August 30th, 2007 AT 5:14 PM
NEWROADHOUSE
You misadjusted it-the valves are opening when not supposed to, in other words its too tight. Manually turn engine over Put the no.1 cylinder on TDC compression stroke-adjust the no.1 and follow the firing order. I would guess the F/O is 153624. When done adjust the ignition timing and curb idle. Note: adjusting the valves will change the ignition timing, its a must you retime it.[/Quote:94987b9166]

Do I need to take valve cover off again and reajust valves?

Thanks,
Jim
Friday, August 31st, 2007 AT 7:03 AM