2001 Chevy Malibu temp gauge not registering

MELMACK021478
  • 2001 CHEVROLET TRUCK
2001 chevy malibu 59000 miles temp gauge will not move off cold(or move at all). Engine coolent fan runs all the time. Please help. :(
Tuesday, December 19th, 2006 AT 9:32 PM

EGGY
Melmack,

Your problem is similar to mine -- Temp gauge reads 'zero' and, when engine is shut-off, the cooling fans (two) stay running. 2001 Impala, 125,000 miles (only 89,000 on 'new' transaxle).

My problem is intermittent -- sometimes things work fine.

My concern is not so much about temp control, but fear (from a mechanic's comments) that incorrect temp sensing might cause incorrect input -- and damage -- to transaxle.

I'm planning to check into BCM (Body Control Module) issues. On the 2001 Impala the BCM participates in control of the cooling fans.

If you receive info outside of this forum please forward to me (or post here).

Thanks,
Eggy
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 1:28 PM
MELMACK021478
Eggy,
I had a friend look over my vechicle and he jiggled the relay under the hood and everything started working again and so far it been fine. Hope that helps. Thanks for the reply

Mel
Thursday, December 28th, 2006 AT 9:31 PM
EGGY
Mel,

Thanks! I'll give this a try.

I checked the schematics (I have access to Chilton's on-line, through local library -- a nice service!) -- The 2001 Malibu is identical to the 2001 Impala.

I don't see anything (in schematics) to indicate that the relay circuit is tied-in with the temp guage, so don't expect any effect there. Any other ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks Again!
Eggy
Friday, December 29th, 2006 AT 3:28 PM
EGGY
I replaced the thermostat and, in the process (noting the bleeder plug on the thermostat housing), discovered the cause of hte problem -- an air pocket in the cooling system.

Eggy
Thursday, January 25th, 2007 AT 2:36 PM