CHEVY LOOSE HARMONIC BALANCER AND PULLEY

1998 Chevrolet Truck

we live up to our name

Engine problem
1998 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

I have a 1998 chevy pickup that the belt came off and when check why found harmonic balancer will move side to side loose but bolts are tight

Harmonic Balancer

mastertechtim

The harmonic balancer is connected by hard rubber. The rubber on yours is no good. You must replace it. Hope this helps

we live up to our name

No all of it moves side to side pulley and balancer with a pry bar

we live up to our name

Nope in and out but allmost like a loose bolt but bolts are tight possible something in oil pan

mastertechtim

Trust me its a bad harmonic balancer. It is bolted directly to the crankshaft. If it was more than just the harmonic balancer then your engine would have blown up.

we live up to our name

Engine is making really hard knocking noise when running. Once it starts it shuts off moments later. Now it just hums and wont turn over, I havent put a socket and ratchet to it to turn the crank yet.

mastertechtim

Now that is a different story. If your harmonic balancer is not bad. Your engine needs to be replaced. Sorry.

we live up to our name

The engine is a 5.7 and was running very well just out of blue pulley moves and causing the noise in side engine

mastertechtim

Your crank shaft must have broke. There should be absolutely no side to side movement of the harmonic balancer

we live up to our name

But why would the pulley and harmonic balancer move side to side on the outside of the timing cover? I understand that the in and out could be the thrust bearing but the side to side wiggle with the bolts tight confuses me beacause it does run. So its a little hard to believe that crank shaft is broken there because if it was why wouldnt the harmonic balancer and pulley fall off?

we live up to our name

Thank you for all of your help. I figured that this may have been an internal problem. I have to pull oil pan and take it from there.

Thanks again.

Crankshaft Main Seal Replace - Front
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet