1998 Chevy Truck loose harmonic balancer and pulley

WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME
  • 1998 CHEVROLET TRUCK

Engine problem
1998 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 52000 miles

I have a 1998 chevy pickup that the belt came off and when check why found harmonic balancer will move side to side loose but bolts are tight

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:00 PM

MASTERTECHTIM

The harmonic balancer is connected by hard rubber. The rubber on yours is no good. You must replace it. Hope this helps

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:03 PM
WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME

No all of it moves side to side pulley and balancer with a pry bar

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:09 PM
WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME

Nope in and out but allmost like a loose bolt but bolts are tight possible something in oil pan

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:14 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

Trust me its a bad harmonic balancer. It is bolted directly to the crankshaft. If it was more than just the harmonic balancer then your engine would have blown up.

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:14 PM
WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME

Engine is making really hard knocking noise when running. Once it starts it shuts off moments later. Now it just hums and wont turn over, I havent put a socket and ratchet to it to turn the crank yet.

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:35 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

Now that is a different story. If your harmonic balancer is not bad. Your engine needs to be replaced. Sorry.

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:44 PM
WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME

The engine is a 5.7 and was running very well just out of blue pulley moves and causing the noise in side engine

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:44 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

Your crank shaft must have broke. There should be absolutely no side to side movement of the harmonic balancer

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:46 PM
WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME

But why would the pulley and harmonic balancer move side to side on the outside of the timing cover? I understand that the in and out could be the thrust bearing but the side to side wiggle with the bolts tight confuses me beacause it does run. So its a little hard to believe that crank shaft is broken there because if it was why wouldnt the harmonic balancer and pulley fall off?

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:49 PM
WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME

Thank you for all of your help. I figured that this may have been an internal problem. I have to pull oil pan and take it from there.

Thanks again.

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:52 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

Are you fooling with me? You have changed your story 3 times. Making it impossible for me to give you the correct answer.

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 7:53 PM
WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME

No. I havent changed my story. Driving home from work, truck was running fine. Check engine light and oil light came on and truck started running sluggish and making noise. I pulled over, opened the hood and saw that the serpentine belt was off. After checking pulleys found bottom pulley and harmonic balancer would move side to side, not in and out. With a pry bar it moves pretty easy. When engine is running it is moving out-of-round and making noise.

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 8:15 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

Ok. When you pry on the harmonic balancer look at the bolt in the center of the pulley. There should be one in the middle and three surrounding it. If when you move the harmonic balancer and the bolt in the middle moves up and down, your motor is no good.(You said the bolt was tight) if you move the pulley and the bolt in the middle does not move but the pulley moves, then your engine is ok and your harmonic balancer is bad.

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 8:20 PM
WE LIVE UP TO OUR NAME

Yes that make sense will check that tommorrow but if bolt moves then what could cause that?

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 8:32 PM
MASTERTECHTIM

There is a very slight chance the threads pulled out of the middle of the crank on the center bolt or catastrophic engine failure. Unfortunate but it happens. Definately check back with us on this post tomorrow and let us know what you find. Thanks

Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 8:36 PM