1998 Chevy Truck how to set the timing

GIRLFRIDAY237
  • 1998 CHEVROLET TRUCK

1998 Chevy Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive 126, 00 miles

I would love to know how to set the timing vortec 454 motor , I checked and it is off which is why I think it won't start. I was orginally driving down the street and started no hear a banging noise. Pulled over and seen the idler arm was braking so I had it towed home then replaced the part since then it hasn't started. I checked the spark and it is getting it. I am thinking the timeing was off that and that is what caused the idler to brake? Please any ifo you can give me It has been parked for 2 months I am banging my head against the wall I just cant afford to take it to chevy dealership
Thanks,
Pam

Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 4:15 PM

Confirm if its getting fuel and spark before we go into ignition timing or do below

Get a carb cleaner and spray into the carb or the throttle body on an EFI. Did it start and die? If not disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light.

Fuel pump and Injector/s checks out-start checking the ignition system-power to coil, coil/s itself, distributor pick-up, control module, Cam and Crankshaft sensors.

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time

Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 4:21 PM

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_timing_9.jpg

Wednesday, April 30th, 2008 AT 4:52 PM