1997 Chevy Truck 2 wd automatic 4.3 vortec motor 122,000 mil

LARRYS5891
  • 1997 CHEVROLET TRUCK
Is there a trick to getting oil pan off.I've got all the bolts out of it 13 bolts in all and it will not budge.I'm trying to change oil pump.
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 4:22 PM

CHEVYII
Its gonna be a little tough, did you try a deadblow hammer yet and tap lightly? Also you may have to remove engine mount blots and jack the engine up to remove the pan once its dislodged, let me know

jim
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 5:13 PM
LARRYS5891
Yes, i've tried a rubber malet and tried prying it apart with a large flat screwdriver. There is a small gap between the motor and the oil pan all the way around it. It just seems to be stuck somehow. At first I thought it might be silicone that manufacturer uses thats making it so hard to come out but I wouldn't think it would be that strong.I'm a pretty big guy and I couldn't get it pried apart
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 5:34 PM
CHEVYII
Hmmm, 12 bolts should do it, the only thing I can think of is dumb but is it hanging up on the crossover pipe or the frame, is the trans inspection cover off? I wil be on for a few more hours let me know
it may just be stuck
jim
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 6:08 PM
LARRYS5891
It doesn't have crossover pipe it has dual exhaust and its wide open under the truck. Theres nothing for it to hang up on and theres plenty of room between oil pan and crossmember for it to drop down. It's got me stumped. Is there something internal that could make it hang up. I appreciate you trying to help. Thanks
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 6:31 PM
CHEVYII
No, there shouldnt be anything at all internal causing this, the pick up just hangs there, so that wouldnt do it, the only other thing I can think of is the front cover, other than that I would whack it a few more times, and as I said I will be on for a while
let me know

jim
Saturday, November 3rd, 2007 AT 6:46 PM