TAHOE WON'T STOP QUICKLY

1996 Chevrolet Truck

sgalat

February, 24, 2007 AT 9:15 AM

I am the original owner of a 1996 Chevy Tahoe with 137,000 miles on it. My concern is that the vehicle cannot brake quickly. I can come to a normal stop but to brake quickly - in the case of preventing an accident the vehicle doesn't seem to be able to stop. I cannot lock the tires up at all. I recently have had an accident because I was not able to stop in time.

The rotors and pads have been replaced numerous times but my ability to quickly stop has not been an option. I recently purchased a 23ft boat and plan on towing it with this vehicle. I'm concerned about my ability to stop when adding additional weight to the vehicle.

I would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

Service Writer

February, 25, 2007 AT 11:54 AM

I think there is a recall on an abs problem with that truck, check with the dealer, have your vin number handy.

sgalat

March, 2, 2007 AT 10:30 AM

Paul, Thanks for the thought. I called and unfortunatly no recalls. Any other suggestions or ideas out there?

Service Writer

March, 2, 2007 AT 3:51 PM

The next 2 things I would check are the brake rotor surface quality of both front and rears, inside and outside.
If there is pitting or reduced contact that will affect it.

Next I would want to see if the bcm has stored any codes related to abs.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Step by Step Timing Chain Replacement Guide
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes ML350
Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe 2015