BROKEN HOOD LATCH

DDONALD
  • 1996 CHEVROLET TRUCK

Other Category problem Two Wheel Drive Automatic

My hood release cable has broken away from latch.

How do I get at latch to open hood.

Thanks Donald

Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 5:38 PM

MASTERTECHTIM

You need a flashlight and a long screwdriver and pop it open through the grill. Look where the cable goes in and there is a little hook that cable goes on, pry that towards the cable and it should open.

Tuesday, January 15th, 2008 AT 5:43 PM
DDONALD

Tried above advice didn't work, oblivious "TIM" doesn't know squat about his fix

Friday, February 22nd, 2008 AT 8:44 AM
MASTERTECHTIM

Hey bub I can lead the horse to the water but I cant make you drink it. I have worked for chevrolet over 10 years and yes for a fact I could get the hood open with a long screwdriver. ***When you finally give up and take it to a garage ask them how they got it open. They reply back and prove me wrong or man up and admit I was right. I take this very serious!

+2
Friday, February 22nd, 2008 AT 4:41 PM
MMALLARD

Sorry that guy was a jerk, your advice worked great for me Tim. Laid underneath my truck for an hour trying to figure it out. Took me 2 minutes after reading your advice. Mine was a 1992 GMC Sonoma. The end of the hood latch cable had just become disconnected from the circle loop I pushed with the screwdriver to open it.

Wednesday, August 19th, 2009 AT 10:12 PM
CHADWHOOD
  • 1984 CHEVROLET TRUCK

1984 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual

I need to know how to put on a new Hood latch cable? And First how to get the Hood up with out the cable?/ Please help. Chad

Sunday, September 17th, 2017 AT 2:48 PM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT

Get under th truck look up at latch area do you see a little cable to a lever. That is the business end now can you get any long object up there to move that lever. If you can it will pop the hood.
Other way is through the grill with mirror and piece of rod bent at a 90.
Good luck
After that just follow the routing to bulk head