1995 Chevy Truck won't idle/ runs rough / no power

TRIPLXXX
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK
This is a 1995 1 ton dually, 4wd, manual with a 454.

I'm baffled because this has been going on for about a month. The day it started I was driving a gravel road at about 45mph. Everything sounded fine and it just quit. Like I had turned the key off. I coasted to a stop. It would crank and crank but no fire. I did find a wire to the oil sending unit was melted to the exhaust manifold which shorted it out and caused it to quit. So I replaced the bad section. It fired up but runs like crap. It won't idle. You have to keep your foot in it to keep it running. It has 0 power.

I've replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap, rotor, ignition module, ecm, egr valve, map sensor, pulled vacuum lines apart and put a blower to them. I've ran a compression check and everything is at 125psi.

I did find a leak in the driver side middle section of the intake manifold. So I pulled the manifold inspected it with a straight edge for warpage or cracks. It appeared good. So I reinstalled with new gaskets. Once reinstalled it still run the same. I sprayed intake cleaner all around the intake and throttle body and didn't hear any change in the engine.

Any idea's?

Jeremy

It will idle at about 1700 rpm when I unplug the map sensor but still has 0 power.
Monday, September 13th, 2010 AT 4:20 PM

ONETON
Amazing! I have the EXACT same problem. I could have written your question. I have done everything you have done and more. Replaced fuel pressure regulator in tbi. My ignition module, cts, tps & egr all checked good. Timing is good and have 16" of vacumn. Replaced coil but it was good. I went so far as to remove cat and muffler to check for plugged cat. No luck there so don't bother doing that. If you find a solution please post it on this web site so I can see it and I will do the same if I find it first. Thank you.
-1
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 12:49 PM
ONETON
Triplxxx, Does your truck have a parasitic.66 amp current draw when it is shut off? Mine does and it might have something to do with the problem. You can check by hooking a dvm or multimeter set on the 10 amp scale between the battery neg terminal and the neg battery cable when the cable is unhooked. This will run current from the battery to the battery cable and you will be able to see it. You must remove the under hood bulb mounted on the underside of the hood or you will read that current draw. You should have only.200 amps max which is used to hold your radio stations. If this is present on your truck I might be able to find the problem from there. Oneton
-1
Thursday, September 16th, 2010 AT 2:52 PM