1995 Chevy Truck Rear Brake assembly slips off the wheel cy

CRANSHAW
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I replaced both rear brakes on my truck. The drivers rear assembly seems to have a little play sliding downward which causes it to semi slip off of the wheel cylinder. When I get it in the right spot and put the wheel drum in place it seems to be fine. I can bleed the brakes just fine but once I start to drive it down the road and I stomp on the brakes the driver side rear shoe slips off the wheel cylinder and releases fluid all over. The other side seems to work fine. I put all new drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, and hardware kits (spings etc.) Any ideas why the one side will not stay in place? All the holding pins seem to be in the right spot and I've mirrored the two sides and I can't see a difference. Thanks
Monday, December 21st, 2009 AT 2:10 PM

It sounds like you have the wrong shoes. Once the brake drum is on, it shouldn't be able to move that much. Make sure the shoes are the same on both sides and let me know what you find. Also, recheck the hold down pins to make sure they are in the right place.

Also, here is a how to for rear shoes. review it to see if you missed anything.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/rear_brake_shoes.htm
Tuesday, December 22nd, 2009 AT 9:02 AM