Not shifting

JJMSMOOTIE
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK

1995 Chevy Truck V8 Automatic 105, 00 miles

No codes speedo meter working/tach working not slipping/just stays in one gear I think second. Did this one other time but corrected its self very shortly. This is A 454 one ton Chevy pick up 2 wheel Dr. Will donate something /will donate more if we fix problem soon as possible Thanks James

Monday, November 30th, 2009 AT 10:55 AM

DOCFIXIT

Hi Maybe ignition switch has been reported on Mitchell Tech Net although GM has not owned up.
Seems ignition does not power up module and PCM at same time and trans goes into limp mode. Next time stuck in second check pink wire on trans connector if no 12v then switch off and on if trans shifts then ign switch.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate

+1
Monday, November 30th, 2009 AT 1:16 PM
BUCKSHOT99

I have 95 Chevy K1500 Silverado that my Tach, Speedo, Gear Position Indicator and Odometers would not work off and on. When this happened, the trans would start off in tall gear making it very hard to get the truck moving. Mat and his techs were able to troubleshoot to 2 different issues. My issues may be different than other trucks with the same symptoms but the Instrument Cluster needed repair and Ignition module needed replacement. Mat took the time to Troubleshoot this electrical issue and was very fair on his pricing.

Tuesday, May 2nd, 2017 AT 12:12 PM
LOVEPUGS4
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK

Electrical problem V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 191000 miles

my tach and speedo quit, my trans stopped shifting. Wiil go into gear forward or rev but seems to be starting out in higher gear and dose not shift. The trans indicater light dose not work. Tried new gauge cluster still no change. Pluged scanner up it dose read rpms and speed. This all happened at the same time.I am thinking ecm problem?
No fault codes logged
thank you

Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 12:43 PM (Merged)
LOVEPUGS4

I fixed this myself. It was my ignition switch it feeds power to the trans fuse in the run position and gauges. Posted this to help someone else.

+5
TRAPPER_CANADA

Hi there,
Just this morning I believe I had a very similar thing happen. Everything died, engine reved but it was not moving to well. I stopped and turned the truck off then on and the guages came back but tranny was still not right. When I shifted the transmission into 2nd the speedo/tach/gear indicator all died again.

I have an appointment at the shop tonight.I will suggest they consider the ignition switch. Although not quite sure if it is the same.

Thanks.

+3
TINO9

There is a little white plastic box located behind the glove box. This unit controls the speedometer in the dash, that might be affecting shifting. Try going to the salvage yard to find a replacement part.

+1
BUCKSHOT99

2CARPROS KEN

Hey,

Great addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out on the site whenever it can add information that will help.

Cheers, Ken

+1
DANSHARP2
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK

1995 Chevy Truck 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 135, 00 miles

The tachometer and the speedometer stopped working on my truck, and the transmission does not shift, it starts and stays in 3rd. Gear. I was told to check the fuses and they were alright.

JACK42

Could be a problem with the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) if the PCM doesnt see the truck moving it wont let the trans operate properly

TIM7532
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TRUCK

Will not shift into overdrive

-1

Scan for codes it may be torque converter or a bad clutch so best to have a trans guy give an opinion on this

COOKEM
  • 1991 CHEVROLET TRUCK

I just recently put a big block 454 in my truck and did away with all the electronics, now when I drive it my trans is winding way out and shifting real hard. It act like the old trans vacuum module is not hooked up but my trans doesnt have one what do yall think the problem is.

Thanks.

WRENCHTECH

These are the kinds of things that happen when you try to Frankenstein a computer controlled car. You create a whole set of new problems. You have an operating system for one thing and now you have something else. All I can advise you to do is find an old Turbo 400 and then you are going to have to custom make mountings and driveshaft.

CARRIERJ
  • 1991 CHEVROLET TRUCK

1991 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 105k miles

Rear end was recently replaced with new diff, ring and pinion. After rear end work was completed, transmission will not go into gear and go forward when placed into drive. Will work in reverse, and placing into first gear manually, but will barely want to move in drive. All fluid levels good, transmission was rebult about one year ago and has always worked properly prior to rear end change. Yoke seal at drive shaft was replaced also when leak was noticed while doing rear end work.

MERLIN2021

Raise the rear wheels off the ground and try to spin the wheels, sounds like somethings not right(locked up) in the rear end gears.

94CHEVYZ71
  • 1994 CHEVROLET TRUCK

1994 Chevy Truck V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 198000 miles

I have a 1994 chevrolet k1500 z71 ext cab it has a 4l60e and the tranny wont shift and the speedometer will not work. The day it happened I got under the truck and found the wire harness for the tranny sitting on the front driveshaft, it didnt pull the wires it had just chewed them up so I put them back together and now the tranny will not shift and the speedometer will not work I have checked every fuse under the dashboard and I have changed the ignition switch under the dash. Please help this thing is driving me crazy.

DOCFIXIT

Hi
That was your wiring to Vehicle Speed Sensor any damage to wiring not good also how did it come off VSS? VSS must be faulty and/ or wiring because no speedo and no shift.
Let me know
Thanks fro donate

WALTER BARNES SR.
  • 1996 CHEVROLET TRUCK
  • 1,834,616 MILES

Will not shift first, second and third.

+1
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 12:45 PM (Merged)
2CARPROS KEN

Does the transmission not go into gear? Do you have reverse?

Best, Ken

+1