Broken Speedometer

MMOYER2655
  • 1992 CHEVROLET TRUCK
The speedometer on my truck does not work. Very occasionally it will start to bounce around for a few minutes then stop for months. I believe I located the speed sensor on the back of the transmission and on one side the wires are exposed but still connected. Should I start by replacing the wires and connector, or the sensor. Or am I looking in the wrong place all together?
Saturday, January 19th, 2008 AT 3:59 PM

KEN

Ok it wont hurt to change that plug and sensor the diagram is below. But these trucks have what is called a DRAC digital ratio adapter controller that also go bad. It is about the size of your hand and is located at the drivers side kick panel, make sure the connection is good and tight, make sure its not green or corroded. Hope this helps.

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers, Ken
Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 5:40 PM
BARBEDDRAGON
  • 1993 CHEVROLET TRUCK
I have already repleaced the speed sensor under tranny, with out any luck.

My question - Does anbody know what could be wrong. I am not 100 % sure but I think that the truck isn't a cable system, maybe electronic or digital?

FYI my other gauges including the odometer, tach, gas, etc are all working fine. Thank you for your time.
+1
Thursday, January 4th, 2018 AT 5:41 PM (Merged)
BARBEDDRAGON
So sorry I forgot to mention I guess the truck has a governor on it that is supposed to activate at 95 mph, however it is going off at about 76 mph (I say about, because my speedometer is broken and a friend was following me, so an unofficial clock :D )
+1
JOHN05201
  • 1994 CHEVROLET TRUCK
1994 Chevy Truck 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 98000 miles

My alternator shorted out and when it did it made the speedometer max out and it is stuck at 80mph! I replaced the alternator and the speedometer is still maxed and not working! Could it be that it burnt out the speed sensor, if so which one and were are they located? The local Chevy dealer said there are two sensors but wouldn't tell me anything unless I brought it in for them to work on!

Thanks for any help
MASTERTECHTIM
Its not a speed sensor. I have seen this several times and what I did was remove the dash cluster and take off front panel and turn the needle back and this solves the problem. Hope this helps
+1
JOHN05201
Thanks Tim I'll give it a try, If it works it beats spending all that money on sensors for nothing!
Thanks for your help!

It worked perfectly thanks again you saved me alot of headaches!