DIESEL

1989 Chevrolet Truck

bronco boy

March, 20, 2007 AT 6:53 PM

I have a 1989 chevy suburban with a 6.2L diesel engin I can not get it started. I got it started once for about 5 seconds then it died again. When I got it started it shot out black smoke out of the exausht. And also when u turn the key the glowplug light does not come on it did when I was tryin to get it started be fore but then it didn't before I gave up on it the other day now the light won't come on. The " water in fuel" light came on but I am not a diesel tech I work on gasoline vehicals if u have any ideas what it could be please let me know
thanks alot

DOG

Black Smoke Coming From Exhaust

Smoking

merlin2021

April, 2, 2007 AT 5:06 PM

Well if you google your engine you will get the specs for testing the glow plugs. It's checks ohms. If it's not the glow plugs, by the black smoke it seems like a timing problem. Drain some of the fuel and check for water. It will seperate from the diesel. Check the glow plug circuit for blown fuses or relays. Does the pump come on?

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator