CHEVY ENGINE SWAP

1988 Chevrolet Truck

grhammett

February, 18, 2008 AT 10:33 PM

Engine problem
1988 Chevy Truck V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 200000 miles

I have 5.7 out of 1993 caprice want to put it in my 88 silverado that has a 5.7 what if anything do I need to do to make this engine swap work the engines look the same is there a difference in wiring or anything that I need to know. Your help would be greatful think you!

pear69

February, 18, 2008 AT 11:04 PM

There is a difference in the wiring and computer stuff. If you want to swap the engines you must keep the computer and wiring in the truck. Do not swap computers or wire harnesses. A truck computer and a car computer are totaly different. Axle ratio, weight ratio, engine load etc. Differ. As long as all the sensors that are on the truck engine have a place to land when the car engine is installed there should be very little difference. Be prepaired to possibably fix or extend some wires just in case something happens. I do suggest that, if extensive modification must be done to the car engine to get it in the truck, then just rebuild the truck engine and forget about doing this swap. It may be easier and cheaper.

Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Ford Focus