CHEVY ENGINE NOT STARTING

2001 Chevrolet Tracker

EnochMJ

August, 27, 2010 AT 3:33 PM

2001 Chevy Tracker 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 165995 miles

I try to start the engine, it turns but will not start. I thought it was the fuel pump so I replaced it and the fuel filter. Still, no start. I have checked the spark plugs and they were OK. How can I tell if the engine has jumped timing or the ignition coil(s) is/are bad?

August, 27, 2010 AT 5:00 PM

To confirm what's happening do below

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, cap and rotor, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing

If both fuel and spark is present-check the valve and ignition timing, this will lead you to problems
with compression and valves opening and closing at the wrong time/broken or jumped timing
belt/chain.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement