TENSIONER PULLEY LASTED ABOUT 10MIN!!

• catch22
  • 2010 Chevrolet Tahoe

I have a 99 Tahoe 4x4 5.7l The tensioner pulley has been sqealling for some time. Ive just been spraying it with lubricant. I finally decided to change it. I swapped out the pulley and it sounded great. About ten minutes later the new pulley started sqealling. I sprayed it with lubricant to very that and sure enough that is the problem. So the question is what would cause this. Oh yea I replaced that pulley about a year ago as well. Do I have an alignment problem? Why would it begin to sqeall again so quikly?

Tuesday, September 25th, 2007 AT 10:13 PM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Often it's the muck that's sprayed on that is causing the problem, belt grip is the worst of all. Remove the belt and clean or fit a new one, clean all the pulleys with solvent, check bearings of idler and tensioner pulleys, and re fit. Alignment should not be a problem as miss alignment will destroy a belt long before a pulley will fail. There are laser aligners out there to check these things, but that a bit much for the home mechanic to worry about.

Wednesday, September 26th, 2007 AT 1:51 AM