2005 Chevy Tahoe Speedometer

FIP
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TAHOE

2005 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

Speedometer has been working intermittently for the last week. Seems with increase in temperature (with a long ride) stops working or stops working correctly. Also a couple times, have noticed smell of electrical or plastic burn probably associated. I have heard from one source that in similar situation dealer replaced instrument cluster as solution. Any other ideas before I replace cluster?

No check engine light. Everything else works. It sounds like Chevy (GM) covers this repair on 03-04 up to 70k miles, but not yet 05. I've asked GM for goodwill, but unlikely. Of course, I'm also nearing the 70k mile mark, so this will likely fall on me to fix.

Thursday, February 7th, 2008 AT 4:09 PM

MASTERTECHTIM

SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY, IF NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND SHIFTS OK, THIS ELIMINATES WIRING OR SPEED SENSOR, MUST BE THE CLUSTER.

+1
Friday, February 8th, 2008 AT 4:32 PM
CUTMANJASON
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • MERGED

2003 Chevy Tahoe V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 94000 miles

From time to time, my speedometer works fine. Lately, though, it may not show any speed at all, or it will get stuck on a speed and not drop below that speed, even stopped. Right now, the truck is sitting in the driveway not moving, but the speedometer shows that it is moveing about 75 mph. What could cause this? Is this something I can fix, or do I need to go to a mechanic? Is this an expensive fix?

Saturday, December 31st, 2016 AT 2:52 PM
BUDDYCRAIGG
  • MERGED

Does the mileage on the odometer or trip meter change at the rate that you would expect it to.

Like if you are on the highway, going with traffic, does it take about a minute for the miles to go up by one?

CUTMANJASON
  • MERGED

The odometer appears to be working properly. Based on the gas that I am using, I am traveling the expected number of recorded miles.

BUDDYCRAIGG
  • MERGED

Then you've got a bad speedo head.

The signal from the speed sensor drives both the odometer and the speedo.

NOAHT
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • MERGED

2003 Chevy Tahoe V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 183000 miles

My speedometer is not working it is stuck on 70 miles per hour and wont go down whats wrong a fuse or something else.

ONEMOO
  • 1995 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • MERGED

Swapped the dashboard out of my vehicle and now transmission and speedometer are not working. Can someone please help?

• MERGED

Have it scanned for codes may need to be programmed to your truck.

JEAN@ZCUSTOMHOMES.COM
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TAHOE
  • MERGED

2002 Chevy Tahoe 85000 miles

Noticed the speedometer sticking at first, then jumping way beyond actual speed vehicle is going. When we shut engine off the speedometer often sticks at 20-30-50, does not go back to 0. Now the speedometer has gone beyond the 120mph and jumps back and forth.

What can be causing this and how can we fix it--hopefully without having to take truck into the shop.

• MERGED

Inspect and test the vehicle speed sensor-

Other Instrument Cluster Gauge Speedometer Not Working Questions