CHEVY TRANSMISSION WONT GO INTO GEAR

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

bbrown521

December, 30, 2008 AT 10:33 PM

1999 Chevy Tahoe V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

My transmission wont go into gear. Sometimes it will go into gear then it comes out of gear. When in gear (for short time) it drives or reverses fine. The truck won't stay in gear long. Sometimes when I think the truck is in neutral its not and when we try to push it, it becomes very hard to move. This just happened out of nowhere the truck gave no signs that the transmission could be going out. I don't know what the problem is and would like to know if there is anything that can be done before I just get a new tranny.

James W.

December, 30, 2008 AT 11:15 PM

This may sound like a foolish question, but I have to ask. Is your fluid level up? What color is the trans fluid, red or the color of coffee? Also, you could pull the transmission pan and we can tell a lot by what you find laying in the bottom. Please advise.

bbrown521

December, 31, 2008 AT 12:01 AM

The color is red and the level is up. I haven't dropped the pan yet I put some leak/slip stop in it. I dont know whats going on I heard that these trucks have some transmission problems but I don't know. It seems like it could be the transmission but then it works for a minute and it dosen't pull hard or anything drives fine then goes out. I don't anything about these transmissions

James W.

December, 31, 2008 AT 12:13 AM

Just a thought. You may want to have someone do a pressure test and a computer scan on your trans. It may just be the pressure regulator or valve.

bbrown521

December, 31, 2008 AT 12:23 AM

I would have to have it towed to a service center correct? Their is nothing I could purchase to do this? I'm a student and am on a short budget so I'm trying to identify the problem and hopefully correct it myself. I don't wanna take it somewhere and since I don't know whats going on with get cheated and told I need a new transmission. Does this sound like a problem thats headed in the direction of getting a new one or a rebuilt one?

James W.

December, 31, 2008 AT 12:46 AM

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to condem the tranny just yet. To run a pressure test or run an ECM scan takes special equipment, but it could be money well spent verses a rblt trans. If you take it in to be checked, have them explain to you in " detail" what they find. Luckily, I do all my own work, but we hear horror stories every day about people being ripped. Once you have it diagnosed, don't hesitate to get back to us before you say yes or no.

bbrown521

December, 31, 2008 AT 1:00 AM

Alright I will and I'll get back with the holiday coming up I don't know when I can get it done.