CHEVY TICKING NOISE.

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

melon513

February, 3, 2009 AT 4:48 PM

Noises problem
1999 Chevy Tahoe V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

My 99' tahoe about two weeks ago started to make a ticking noise which sounded to me like a valve problem. The noise would only happen for about two minutes after cold starts. Just last night I was driving to a local store and the ticking noise never stopped, it continued and actually became louder and less in sync. Instead of a constant steady tick it became a more random knock which sounded like a nut or bolt was loose inside the engine. When I stopped at a red light the engine started to jolt forward without my foot being on the gas and when I swithched it into nuetral the jolting ceased. I've been told by two different mechanics that it was a rod and that the engine would need to be replaced. It hasn't locked up yet. Does the diagnosis soud accurate to you? And if so, what are my options? I was given a quote of at least $2,800 for a new engine. Does this sound resonable?

February, 3, 2009 AT 6:14 PM

Sounds like lifters leakdowm problem-Do an engine flush get the good stuff plus oil and filter- see what happens

Radiator Fluid Flush and Fill Ford Explorer
Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler PT