1998 Chevy Tahoe 4l60E Tahoe Transmission or Torque Convert

TALKINTAHOE
  • 1998 CHEVROLET TAHOE
My 1998 tahoe's transmission is acting like its going bad. It will go into any gear when it is cold. After about a minute of warming up you can hear a whining noise coming from underneath the truck and I have no gears not even reverse. Truck acts like it is in nuetral. If I cut it off for a minute and start it back up I have gears again for about a minute and it starts over again. Could it be a solenoid. I have no codes or check engine light. Could it be internal. The fluid level is full and does not show signs of wear. Thanks
Wednesday, October 14th, 2009 AT 1:20 PM

PEAR69
It sounds like the sunshell if fractured or broken.
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 12:20 PM
TALKINTAHOE
I guess I can rule out an electrical problem like a solenoid. Would it throw a code with a solenoid. Just wondering why you think its the sunshell gear. Thanks for the reply.
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 9:13 PM
PEAR69
The sunshell is the weakest part of these transmissions. A solenoid will sometimes give a code and sometimes not. The intermittent gear issue indicates an internal problem.
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 9:28 PM