Not shifting

SUBURBANDSS
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
I have a 2004 Z71 Suburban that I recently purchased with 59000 miles. When I test drove the vehicle the transmission shifted smoothly. On my way home (1000 miles) when stopping for gas the transmission became erratic (jumping) when shifting from 1st to 2nd. The check engine light went on as well. Shifting into 3 and D seemed to be fine. Freeway driving was fine. When I got home I read the code out which was P0894 (trans slipping). This behavior 1st to 2nd happened everytime I stopped along the long trip.

Seems to be associated with the truck when it is hot. I am home now, car transmission is working fine. Another note, the trans fluid level is high (maybe an 1 inch above where it should be) and I do not know when the filter and fluid have been changed last.
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 7:28 AM

MERLIN2021
There is a technical service bulliten on your tranny this is it:
Page 1 of 1 Diagnostic Information on Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0894 and P1870 -2004

Diagnostic Information on Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P0894 and P1870
TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN
Reference Number(s): 08-07-30-008B, Date of Issue: June 03, 2008 Affected Model(s): 2003-2007 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks; 2003-2007 HUMMER H2; 2006-2007 HUMMER H3; 2005-2007 Saab 9-7X; with 4L60-E, 4L65-E or 4L70-E Automatic Transmission (RPOs M30, M32 or M70)
Supercedes: This bulletin is being revised to remove the 2002 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-008A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).
Related Ref Number(s): 08-07-30-008B
ARTICLE BEGINNING
SERVICE INFORMATION
Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0894 and P1870, Transmission Component Slipping, may have different root causes. The following diagnostic tips are provided to assist in accurately repairing the condition.
Corporate Bulletin Number 06-07-30-007 is intended for 2006 vehicles only. This bulletin provides diagnostic procedures to determine if the TCC enable solenoid is cracked.

Slip speeds ranging from approximately 100 to 400 RPM at steady state light load driving are usually caused by the TCC not applying. Slip speeds greater than about 400 RPM at steady state driving are usually caused by a slipping clutch or band. Inspect the oil pan for the presence of excess clutch debris.

A plugged or restricted TCC apply fluid orifice (238, located in the pump) may cause DTC P0894 or P1870, especially in low mileage vehicles with less than 8,000 km (5,000 mi).

A converter clutch valve (224, located in the pump), which does not have full travel of 13 mm (0.5 in) or is stuck in the off position may cause DTC P0894 or P1870. Inspect the valve for chips, debris, nicks or burrs. Also, inspect the springs (225 and 226) to make sure they are not limiting valve travel. A spring that is not fully wound may catch in the bore, limit valve travel and cause DTC P0894 or P1870.

A cut, damaged or missing turbine shaft O-ring seal (615) may cause these DTCs. When installing this O-ring to the turbine shaft, make sure it is fully seated on the groove all the way around the turbine shaft and can be easily rotated with the thumb and forefinger. Failure to fully seat this O-ring may result in cutting when the torque converter is installed.

A cracked or leaking TCC solenoid (part of harness 66) may cause DTC P0894 or P1870. Use solenoid test kit J 44246 to test the operation of this solenoid.

A cracked or leaking TCC PWM solenoid (396) may also cause DTC P0894 or P1870.
If the vehicle has 24,000 miles (38,600 km) or more, and diagnostics have not determined another cause of the DTC, the torque converter should be replaced.
When attempting to diagnose a DTC P0894 or P1870, it is important to also refer to the appropriate Service Information (SI) document for further possible causes of this condition.
+1
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 2:20 PM
DARIN L BLACKWELL
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
The transmission will on shift one time. Will not shift into third. I do have the tow package as well. I have been told it is the shift sontorl solenoid. If so is it hard to change.

Darin
Tuesday, February 19th, 2019 AT 11:07 AM (Merged)
There are shift solenoids in the transmission. If they go bad, this can happen. To access them, remove the trans pan and filter. You will see very small wires going to them. There should be two of them in your transmission.

Let me know if this helps.

MKFRD9
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Truck will not start out in 1st gear, but uses 2nd. Then it won't shift into overdrive. Checked fluid and it was about 1/2 quart low. Added fluid, then test drove again. Clunks when putting truck in drive or reverse. Service engine soon light came on 1 day earlier.

I do not have any leaks, or smell burnt fluid, as is typical with transmission failure. Fluid and filter is changed about every 75,000 miles.
JACK42
At 200k nothing would surprise me, that is alot of miles for an automatic trans. Have the PCM scanned to see what code it has (check engine light) it will probably pertain to the trans and may lead to a fix.
BASINARI
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
1999 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

How do I fix the shifter to the transmission? When I go to put it in gear I have to climb underneath the truck and manually put it in gear.
KHLOW2008
Hi basinari,

Thank you for the donation.

Seems the transmisison shift linkage are detached or bushes are worn.

You need to check which part has gotten loose.

Are you able to move the shifter lever out of park?
SAMIMGREEN
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
My transmission died and wouldn't shift into 2nd or reverse, etc, etc. I had it worked on/rebuilt. Many things were replaced - gears, solenoids a couple of times, a big round drum things (okay, I'm not the mechanic obviously), valves cleaned so the balls move, piston/springs replaced, new fluid and filter (he said there was a filter that was too small and he put in a longer truck filter). It was taken apart and put back together a few times because he can't figure out what is wrong with it now. Rear works fine. 1st works fine. 2nd has a small hiccup but works. 3rd and overdrive are hit or miss and requires heavy RPMs to get it to change and generally hard, sometimes very hard. I also heard something that sounded like air brakes releasing. No, I am not driving it other than to get it home after the mechanic apologized profusely and didn't charge anything, though I did give him some anyway for the work he did do as far as replacing parts.

So, any ideas?
KHLOW2008
Hi samimgreen,

Thank you for the donation.

Here are description of possible causes for the condition.

Slipping, Rough Or No 3-4 Shift
Check oil pump assembly faces not flat or pump cover retainer and ball assembly omitted or damaged. Valve body assembly 2-3 shift train, accumulator valve, 1-2 shift valve or 3-2 control valve stuck. Manual valve link bent or damaged. Spacer plate or gaskets incorrect, damaged or not positioned properly. Defective 2-4 servo assembly.

Incorrect band apply pin. Servo seals missing or damaged. Porosity in pistons, cover or case. Plugged or missing orifice cup plug. Case 3rd accumulator retainer and ball assembly leaking. Porosity in 3-4 accumulator piston or bore. 3-4 accumulator piston seal or seal grooves damaged. Restricted oil passage. Defective input housing assembly. Forward or 3-4 clutch plates worn, or excessive plate travel.

Forward or 3-4 piston seals damaged. Porosity in 3-4 clutch housing or piston. 3-4 piston check ball
stuck, damaged or not sealing. Restricted apply passages. Forward clutch piston retainer and ball
assembly not seating. 2-4 band worn or not positioned properly. Sealing balls loose or missing.