2004 Chevy Suburban temperature guage is high

BOB JONES
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
The temp guage is normal at straight up 210* but now goes to 3/4 high, halfway between 210 and 260* Approxamately 235*. When driving down the street it climbs to 235 but at a stop light temp goes down to normal 210* When I put the heat on full to see what effect this has the heat blows cold with no effect on the temp. Is this the thermostat gone bad and if so where in the system is it located. Sometimes simple service on this car gets complicated.

Read your reply. One question was not answered. Where, exactly, in the system is the thermostat located. I do not want unnessarily unhook anything looking for it. Please locate it. Thanks
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 7:38 AM

RACEFAN966
I would have it checked to see if the temp is really getting that high. Many shops use an infered temp gun to check temps. So call around and ask if one of the shops would be willing to check it for you to see if it is really getting that hot. If it is then I would check for coolant lose. If it isn't getting that hot then change the temp switch for the guage. Let me know what you find and we will go from there.
Friday, November 6th, 2009 AT 10:13 AM