FUEL GUAGE NEEDLE MOVING CRAZY JUMPING SIDE TO SIDE?

• hellohiwelcome
  • 1999 Chevrolet Suburban
  • automatic

The fuel gauge needle is jumping side to side. The fuel pump is new. I replaced the old one in 05/2011. When I'm driving, the fuel gauge jumps from "from full to empty to half gallon mark to full to 1/4 gallon mark to empty etc and so on", so is not giving me an accurate reading. It gives me a false reading so I don't know how many gallons I have. I know it's not the float (hope not) maybe an electrical issue. Need help! Thanks alot!

Thursday, October 11th, 2012 AT 6:58 AM

• mhpautos

I would be suspecting the tank sender unit, the gauge will not move about on its own like that, I would get the sender out of the tank and tested first.

Thursday, October 11th, 2012 AT 8:15 AM
  • dmccrack

Mine does the same thing. Not wildly, but like a constant, very fast shaking side to side - the actual distance it moves is slight. The pump bit the dust so I replaced the whole assembly (including the sender). The fuel gauge still does the same thing.

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 3:57 PM
  • dmccrack

I haven't checked mine, but there is a frame ground back there by the tank. I doubt it is the problem, but it wouldn't cost anything to make sure that connection is good!

Friday, October 12th, 2012 AT 3:59 PM