FUEL GUAGE NEEDLE MOVING CRAZY JUMPING SIDE TO SIDE?

1999 Chevrolet Suburban

hellohiwelcome

October, 11, 2012 AT 6:58 AM

The fuel gauge needle is jumping side to side. The fuel pump is new. I replaced the old one in 05/2011. When I'm driving, the fuel gauge jumps from "from full to empty to half gallon mark to full to 1/4 gallon mark to empty etc and so on", so is not giving me an accurate reading. It gives me a false reading so I don't know how many gallons I have. I know it's not the float (hope not) maybe an electrical issue. Need help! Thanks alot!

mhpautos

October, 11, 2012 AT 8:15 AM

I would be suspecting the tank sender unit, the gauge will not move about on its own like that, I would get the sender out of the tank and tested first.

dmccrack

October, 12, 2012 AT 3:57 PM

Mine does the same thing. Not wildly, but like a constant, very fast shaking side to side - the actual distance it moves is slight. The pump bit the dust so I replaced the whole assembly (including the sender). The fuel gauge still does the same thing.

dmccrack

October, 12, 2012 AT 3:59 PM

I haven't checked mine, but there is a frame ground back there by the tank. I doubt it is the problem, but it wouldn't cost anything to make sure that connection is good!

Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Fuel Filters Replacement 2015 RAM 2500 6.7L
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado