CHEVY FUEL GAUGE NOT WORKING

2002 Chevrolet Suburban

robertg

March, 2, 2008 AT 2:29 PM

2002 Chevy Suburban V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

My fuel gauge stopped working recently while I was pumping gas with the engine running(I know this is not the correct thing to do but I had my reason). Could this have caused the damage? Now the gauge reads the tank capacity for a couple of seconds when you turn on the ignition, then goes back to empty with the message center displaying low fuel? Your suggestions as to where to start would be very helpful.
Thanks Bob

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Fuel Gauge Doesn't Work

mastertechtim

March, 2, 2008 AT 3:00 PM

Bob it sounds like your fuel level sensor is no good. The easiest way to tell is unplug the sender unit above the tank and look at connector to see if it is melted(very common) if ok turn on key and look at gauge then jump the purple wire to the black wire and the gauge should read the opposite of what it did before, if it does we know its the fuel level sensor. Get back to me

dugswife

June, 27, 2010 AT 7:42 PM

RobertG,

wondering what the solution was to your problem. We just put gas in our 2002 with the engine running and now the gas gage is not working. Wondering what you found the problem to be.

Window Regulator and Motor Replacement Honda
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Porsche 911
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement