1998 Chevy Suburban Rear Brakes Burning

ABOUT TO BREAK
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
My rear brakes keep burning and warping. I have replaced the shoes and drums about 5 tyimes this year alone. This last time. I replaced the backing plates, hardware, shoes, wheel cylinders, and drums. The drums were turned to verify they were staight. The Axles are not bent. The bearings are good. The combination valve up on the ABS unit has been replaced. After a brake job. The rears start to warp in about 10 miles. This last time you could fry eggs on them!

Is the problem in the ABS control unit.I'm running out of things to replace!
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 12:11 PM

DOCFIXIT
Did problem start after the first time brakes where changed? I assume it has not occured for 137K miles
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 12:50 PM
ABOUT TO BREAK
Problem started after a rearend hit. Vehicle went on a frame rack, frame was straitened. Found a bent Rt. Axle. Replaced that. But the brakes have been perma warped for the last two years. The bouncing of the shoes wore groves deep into the backing plates. Hence the replacement this time.
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 2:59 PM
DOCFIXIT
What is perma wraped? Did this start up right after truck was repaired? When you install is drum free to turn? Parking brake cables O.K? Is big shoe in back little front? Is self adjuster on rear shoe?
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 3:12 PM
ABOUT TO BREAK
Sorry for my mis-spelling. Warped was the intended word.

This last brake job was done at a reputable shop by a Master tech. I supplied the parts and I paid him to hang them, just to eliminate any room for the errors you sited. All was done as it should be. Yet the brakes burned right up. It's as if a proportioning vlave is acting as a one way unit. I have benn told there is no propotioning valve on this vehicle. That is why I had the combination valve replaced.

The brakes don't feel like they are dragging while driving. But obviously something is not releaseing as it should.
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 3:40 PM
DOCFIXIT
Your combo has porp. Vale in it. If problem is hydraulic then pressure must be checked between master cyl and rear wheel cyl. Check to see if pressure is in line after a few pumps. If so residual check valve on master is defective. Also are fronts in good order?
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 3:46 PM
ABOUT TO BREAK
Yes. The fronts are in good working order. The problem is isolated to the Back brakes.

If the check valve in the master is the problem. Would that just affect the rears?
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 3:51 PM
DOCFIXIT
Yes only the rears it is screwed into master at outlet the line attached. Check for pressure in reas aftr brake application.
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 4:06 PM
ABOUT TO BREAK
Excellent news. And thank you very much.

Maybe I won't have to spend about $1600 on the ABS system after all.

I will check for the presure in the rear line. And will relace the master just to know it has been done.

A donation is on it's way!

Thanks Again Guys.
Saturday, December 6th, 2008 AT 4:10 PM
DOCFIXIT
Ataboy Glad to have helped somtimes you have to stick to basics that's why all the questions at the time must have seemed inane but for me helpful.
Thanks for using us tell a friend
Sunday, December 7th, 2008 AT 1:27 PM