Engine stalls at idle?

DUAYNE
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
The truck wont stay running it dies at idle but not all the time. Has a little hesitation while running just give more gas and it wont die
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 10:30 PM

Has the check engine light come on? Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

This guide will help us fix it.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/stall-at-idle

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/throttle-actuator-service

Please run down these guides and report back. Joe
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 7:26 PM
BOBBODINE
  • 2005 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Starts and shuts off. Replaced PCM starts and runs battery/ABS/airbag light on widows/locks no work on lights inside.
Thursday, February 18th, 2021 AT 12:41 PM (Merged)
ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

Did all the options work before you replaced the ECM?

Did you replace the BCM as well? If you did, was it programmed to your truck after installation?

As far as the lights, did you have it scanned for any codes?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/abs-warning-light-on-easy-repair-guide

Both are controlled by the BCM. That is why I was asking about the programming.

BOBBODINE
No did not work. It starts and shuts off. No communication so I replaced PCM with a reprogrammed and it started and runs so I replaced the BCM with a reprogrammed one relearn key starts and runs, but no gauge and no interior power or widows/locks battery /ABS/airbag lights on. Scan tool error link.
ASEMASTER6371
Okay, do you have a scan tool that can access the BCM?

The BCM has to be programmed on the vehicle with the proper programming equipment.

I know places sell them that are pre programmed but they are not always right.

I posted below the steps for the programming.

BODY CONTROL MODULE (BCM) PROGRAMMING/RPO CONFIGURATION

INTRODUCTION
The procedures below are designed to set-up the body control module (BCM) correctly during BCM related service. Before you start, read these procedures carefully and completely.

IMPORTANT: The following procedures must be followed:
1. Programming the BCM.
2. Programming Theft Deterrent System Components, if equipped with Passlock System.

PROGRAMMING THE BCM

IMPORTANT: After the procedure is completed, the personalization settings of the BCM are set to a default setting. Inform the customer that the personalization must be set again.

Perform the BCM special function "Request BCM Info. For SPS", then connect the scan tool to the SPS terminal and follow the instructions on the screen. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in Programming and Setup.

PROGRAMMING THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM COMPONENTS
Perform the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in Theft Deterrent after successfully finishing the Setup New BCM procedure. If the Programming Theft Deterrent System Components in the Theft Deterrent procedure is not performed after a BCM replacement, one of the following conditions will occur:
The vehicle will not be protected against theft by the PASSLOCK system.
The engine will not crank or start.

IMPORTANT: After programming, perform the following to avoid future misdiagnosis:
1. Turn the ignition OFF for 10 seconds.
2. Connect the scan tool to the data link connector.
3. Turn the ignition ON, with the engine OFF.
4. Use the scan tool in order to retrieve history DTCs from all modules.
5. Clear all history DTCs.
ASUPINGER1
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I was getting on the hiway and noticed a slight loss of power and acceleration unless I floored it then it was fine. When I stopped at the off ramp light it would not idle on its own. I can push the gas and it feels smooth over 2000 rpms. So ichanged the maf sensor, spark plugs, wires and even the catalytic converters. Still runs rough at low rpm and wont idle at all. But will start right back up. Can you help me. My check engine light is on and get codes P0300 and P0101. A garage checked it and said it was that cats. But it wasnt.
DENNYP
The first step would be cleaning the throttle body out. If you have carbon buildup in the throttle body, it will cause poor or no idle quality. If this doesn't help, try to determine which cylinders show misfires. Let me know what you find.
ASUPINGER1
I checked the engine compression and one cylinder had no compression at all so I removed the valve cover and that cylinder has a broken valve spring. The throttle body was fine.
-1
DENNYP
Was it the driver side rear cylinder? I have seen about 5 different silverados with broken valve springs in the same location. 4 of them just got valve springs, 1 of them had to get a cylinder head.
ASUPINGER1
It was the second cylinder from the front on the drivers side. And the rear spring on that cylinder. If you had heard of that before then a clue might of saved me alot of time and money.
Thursday, February 18th, 2021 AT 12:42 PM (Merged)
PHAZEN0001
  • 2004 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I pulled out of my driveway this morning, and my truck stalled. At this moment my check engine, ABS, brake and 4 wheel drive lights all came on. My truck wont start. I tested it with an OBD II tester and got no errors. The truck cranks but will not start. Has my PCM gone bad or is there another answer? Does anyone have any suggestions. I lost my main source of transportation, it won't start.
4DRTOM
Good morning,

If your car stalled and your not having any codes there is a very good chance that your fuel pump or fuel pump relay failed. Most of the other no start failures in a stall out condition will set a code. When you turn the key into the on position and listen carefully you should hear a humming sound for a few seconds. Listen for this and if you don't hear anything it's pointing to the fuel pump not turning on.

Here are a couple articles for your review that will help you get this handled:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Here is an article for checking for spark as well:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-an-ignition-system

Let us know if this helps out.

Tom
WALTER BARNETT
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Truck dies sometimes when you stop or brake even if it is warm?
SERVICE WRITER

I have seen this problem before and you need to clean your throttle body here is a guide to help you with the repair.

this guide can help as well

Please run down these guides and report back.

+2
TRAINES3
Thanks for this post I had this problem and serving the throttle body worked like a charm, it was goopy.
-1
RMSPARKS1343
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I hear the fuel pump working and it will start up but won't hold an idle then it will die. When I give it gas it has a delayed response, it won't hold as I rev the engine and it will die. I filled up the gas tank about 2-3 days prior to this and it was running fine for those few days. It acts like it gets flooded when I give it gas. I usually add Heat to the gas but I stopped about a month ago.
Thursday, February 18th, 2021 AT 12:51 PM (Merged)
Is the check engine light staying on? If so, have you scanned the computer? Have you checked fuel pump pressure? Even though the pump is running, it may not be producing enough pressure or the regulator could be bad and too much pressure is being supplied.

Let me know what point you are at in diagnosing the issue.
RMSPARKS1343
The check engine light is on when the key is in the run position. It wasn't on before. I do not have accesses to a computer to diagnose it. I have a mechanic friend who is going to help me check the fuel pump pressure tonight.

I'll reply again once we get a reading on the pressure. What should the PSI read?
What size engine is in the vehicle?
I need to shut down for right now. The most common engine is the 5.3L V8 in your vehicle. If that is correct, the KOEO fuel pressure should be 55-62 psi.

Sponsored links