2003 Chevy Silverado Rear Brake Replacement

MRED2NICE
  • 2003 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Brakes problem
2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 66,000 miles

I had my rear brake rotors and pads replaced at a local garage on my 2003 Chevy Silverado.

About 200 miles later, this evening, a horrible clunking noise developed from the rear of the truck.
It appeared to be rotational in nature. I looked under the truck and found axle lubricant on the inside of the passenger inner rear wheel(it is a dually) as well as metal shavings. Also, there was a bit if smoke. My initial assessment is an axle bearing.

My question relates to the brake replacement that was performed about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure of what all is involved with the brake replacement. Is there any possibility that "something" could have been disturbed that contributed to the issue I currently have?

Thanks,
Ed

Sunday, May 3rd, 2009 AT 11:59 PM

Chances are the brake job had nothing to do with it. The smoke is from the hot drum getting covered with gear lube.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, May 5th, 2009 AT 7:58 PM
KARATTOP

In the years where disc brakes were put on the rear, the e-brake was made up of a small inner drum that is mounted inside the area. It works just like the drum brakes of old, but served only as the e-brake. I've heard that sometimes during a 'regular' brake job the e-brake can be disturbed and you will hear something metal going around inside your wheel.

This is just an idea - it doesn't explain the axle lube inside your inner wheel, unless that is from some sort of collateral damage.

Do you use your e-brake? For these 4-wheel disc systems, it is better to use the e-brake to keep it functional.

Thursday, May 7th, 2009 AT 11:02 AM