CHEVY 4 WHEEL DRIVE TROUBLE

2003 Chevrolet Silverado

mikesc2000

February, 1, 2008 AT 11:37 AM

2003 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 117000 miles

2003 K2500 Duramax/Allison. 117K mi.
I start my truck like any other day today, and start to back up. I notice it feels really strange (like the brake is on, or I am missing a wheel or something). Then I notice " service 4WD" on the dash monitor. Also, the light on the dash is not lit for 2WD, even when I press it. None of the drive lights are lit (2WD, 4WD, or 4WD low).
Note: I was not trying to use 4WD today, and have not used it in weeks. Must be an electronic faulure I am thinking, but I dont know. That's why I am here. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks! Mike

Jack42

February, 1, 2008 AT 12:43 PM

Check all fuses first, underhood and in the passenger compartment. Then it will need to be scanned for codes pertaining to the drivetrain. This should give us a starting point

mikesc2000

February, 1, 2008 AT 12:54 PM

Thanks. As an update.I just noticed now it is now stuck in 4WD low. That button is lit. What do you think about replacing the push button module?

Jack42

February, 1, 2008 AT 2:53 PM

Could be the problem. Most likely the cheapest part in the system.

mikesc2000

February, 4, 2008 AT 9:16 PM

I did end up replacing the transfer case selector motor/switch. I think I am calling it the right name (it is the motor on the transfer case that electronically switches to 2H, 4L, 4WD.
Anyway, my truck runs now, but only in 2WD. Wont let me go into 4WD, and still says " service 4WD system" on the dash. Is it possible that the code needs to be cleared? If so, how do I do that? Where is this computer at anyway?

Jack42

February, 5, 2008 AT 7:48 AM

Need a scan tool to clear codes. Try Autozone, they scan for free, have them scan it then clear the codes

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
Automatic Transmission Service
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads