Replacement brake lines

LIAM0241
  • 2002 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Is it possible to use Brake lines that are 5/16" instead of 1/4"? Would this affect brake pressure?
Wednesday, July 15th, 2009 AT 7:35 PM

CEMENT HEAD
That will affect brake pressure you should replace this line with the same size that came off
Saturday, October 27th, 2018 AT 4:04 PM
BIGGMIKE
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have the 1500 model. I replaced all the brake lines and do not know the order the lines go to the the brake pressure box that is under the pick up. Can you please send me a picture of the order it go in? Thank you

Need to know the order the brake line's go in.
Monday, January 13th, 2020 AT 8:22 PM (Merged)
We have no pictures of an ABS unit. However, most of the lines will have different fitting sizes. If you are careful when you put the lines to the ABS unit they should go to each hole correctly if you used factory lines. If you have a mirror you might look for an F or R stamped in the ABS unit.
+2
KHLOW2008
Hope the diagram is helpful.
+49
BIGGMIKE
+4
Monday, January 13th, 2020 AT 8:23 PM (Merged)
RJVRIES
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have a 2000 Silverado, while replacing a rotted brake line from master cylinder to ABS module all of the front lines desintergrated above frame. I cannot tell which line ran to which port. I need to know brake line routing for the 4 brake lines from front of vehicle to ABS module. Fifth line to rear is no problem, (upper right, if looking from front of module) as it is already replaced. Thanks for any info.
Rick
MASTERTECHTIM
Here is what ALLDATA gives us. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
RJVRIES
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
V8 four wheel drive automatic 94,000 miles.

While replacing a rotted brake line from master cylinder to ABS module all of the front lines disintegrated above frame. I cannot tell which line ran to which port. I need to know brake line routing for the four brake lines from front of vehicle to ABS module. Fifth line to rear is no problem, (upper right, if looking from front of module) as it is already replaced. Thanks for any information.
Rick
JACK42
I cannot find any diagrams of that for you in my software. Are two out of the four different in size? Maybe try looking at another truck like yours.
+2
MUDDRUM
Hi rjvries,

I have to replace my brake lines from the front of the ABS unit because they have rusted where they leak. I was told by a repair shop they wanted $95.00/hour to do this. I am a instrument repair guy and have bent miles of copper, ss, steel impulse lines. So I bought the tubing $30.00, tools $150.00, fittings $20.00 and I am ready to kink some tube! I will draw a diagram of what the routing is and post it. I am spreading this job over two weeks. Remember good work takes time.
+4
KAYAK11
I also had to replace the front brake lines because one failed and the others were ready to fail.
I made a sketch of the junction block on the drivers side near mid vehicle.

Looking from vehicle front to rear, here is the layout:
There are three connections along the top. From left to right, the connections are front left wheel, front right wheel, and the connector near left rear wheel that serves both rear wheels. The bottom two connections go to the master cylinder. The left connection goes to the rear master cylinder connection and the right connection goes to the front master cylinder connection.

Good luck, this is not a fun job.
Remember that the end flare connections to the vehicle must be double flares.
+17
SCOTTDARR
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My lines going from the abs unit up to the 2 front brakes are rusting away, I want to buy a coil of steel brake line and replace them, I cant tell if there 1/4" or 3/16"? Or some thing else, they are to rusted to get an accurate measurement,
thanks,
scott
STEVENC819
To kayak11, thank you very much for the posting. I had to do the same job and it helped in the end. For those of you doing this job. Do not use steel line, if possible use copper or have custom stainless steel lines done. Also, plan on raising the cab off the frame by 1 1/2 inches on the left. Also raise the bed three inches as well. This will make it easier to route the lines by the frame. The stainless steel lines were custom bent and little difficult to run but in the end it is well worth it. Have fun!
+2
RIVERMIKERAT
Unless you have the proper tools to bend the pipe and form the end fitting, I would recommend buying replacement lines. They are usually 3/16". My reference doesn't list this spec.
CADIEMAN
Too much hassle just go to the dealer and buy the lines you need. They can give you a diagram and it shows you where it hooks up. If it was one line I would try and fix it but not the whole system. Maybe at a salvage yard. Never use copper tubing as it may have a reaction with the slightly corrosive nature of the brake fluid, but most important wont be able to handle the pressure in a braking system, especially one with ABS
+2
SCOTTDARR
I have a tubing bender and double flair tool, thanks for the response
RIVERMIKERAT
No problem. Most pro parts stores sell the tubing ready to go, you just need to bend it.
+2
DALFANE
  • 1999 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
THERE IS A HOLE IN THE BRAKE LINE AND I WAS WONDERING HOW DIFFUCULT IT IS TO REPLACE.
SERVICE WRITER
Depends on where it runs to and the conition of anything near it. If the bleeders come loose or not to bleed may be a problem.

Might be a simple or might be a serious project with unforseen headaches.
BLACKCHEVY
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Brakes problem
1995 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I'm replacing rusted brake line from the rear to the front. Is there anyway to find out what lengths of line I need. I'm a big guy so once I get on the ground under the truck I want to have the line already. The line goes from the axle up to the bottom of the firewall at the front of the truck. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you, P.
Oh, my truck has extended cab and 8 foot bed.

Sponsored links