2000 Silverado Body Control Module Install help

BSUBRONCOS86
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I was informed by the dealer that I needed to replace the Body Control Module in my 2000 Silverado 5.3L extended cab, power windows and door locks. It was the source of my truck's inability to program a new remote keyless entry keyfob. Instead of having the dealership stick it to me for $500, I decided to purchase a replacement BCM for $70 and install it myself. I heard the BCM was underneath the dash. Is this true and how difficult of an install would this be? I'm comfortable and familiar with pulling the dash apart, but don't know where to look for the BCM and if I need any special tools after I tear into it. Can someone help me out? -Yes, I've tried to reprogram the remote via turning the ignition to the "on" position while hitting the lock/unlock switch. This is why the dealership recommened replacing the BCM.

Thanks - Rocky
Monday, May 7th, 2007 AT 8:44 PM

STEW
There are two ways to access the BCM.
It is located just to the right of the steering column.
1. Take out the two screws at the bottom of the dash panel & very carefully pull the panel out. The dash panel is attached with plastic snap type connection on each side & the two screws at the botttom of the dash. Be careful to gently pry and it will pop out.
2. The BCM will be visiable with a brown/blue/purple connectors
3. Remove connector wires by squeezing the connecctor to release tab, so connector can be pulled out of plug.
4. Push up on release tab & slide BCM out of holder.
If you do not want to take the dash apart then, you will have to remove part of the heating duct and then use a 1/4" dr. 7mm socket & extension to remove the BCM plastic holder & BCM.
If your part numbers are the same and/or the new unit has been programmed to the same parameters of the original unit, then it will work.
If it is not the same part number and/or has not been programmed to the original parameters, then you will have to take one or both units to the GM dealer to have a tech check & program the unit to the VIN and/or accessories that you may want to add in the future, provided they are OEM.
Good Luck Rocky,
Stew
+6
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 AT 9:15 AM
BSUBRONCOS86
Thanks for the help Stew!
+2
Tuesday, May 22nd, 2007 AT 11:46 AM