2000 Chevy Silverado Truck will not start

JAMIEDALLEN0481
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 191000 miles

Ok here is the situation. I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3L with about 191,000 miles. The problem I am having is that the truck will not start when it is very cold outside (below 30 F). When attempting to start the motor turns over great but never fires up, after about 5 min. There is a "thud" like sound immediately after I let off the key, not very loud, but noticeable. After continuing to try to start (about 15 sec at a time) finally after about 10 min or so it will start and run beautifully like there was never a problem. The only time this happens is on the first start of the morning when it is cold, after that it starts every time, runs perfect. I don't understand
I took it to the dealer and they told me it was most likely the intake gasket, I replaced it, same problem. Then I was told it was the fuel pump, replaced it and the filter, same problem. Then was told it was either the gas or anti-freeze freezing, now I'm running 97 octane w/ Sea Foam and anti-freeze rated at -41 F at about 75% mix, and I'm still having the same problem. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 3:33 PM

SERVICE WRITER

Try spraying ether into the throttle body when the problem is present. Does it then start and run for a few seconds or so.

IF so check your fuel pressure regulator for leakage, The 5.3s had a problem with this condition. Sometimes you would get a raw fuel scent under the hood that helps shed light.

IF this doesn't pan out, the nect two things I would check for is first fuel pressure that HAS to be in spec.

And check for spark presence with a spark tester.

Post back if this doesn't get on on track and we can go from there.

(BTW what brand of fuel pump? Seen way too many aftermarket problem childs. About the only one I trust anymore is a delphi. I think the connectors are suppossed to be changed at the same time on those.)

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 4:54 AM
JAMIEDALLEN0481

How would you go about checking the fuel pressure regulator? Sometimes when trying to start it it will run for a second at the most and die, not slowly but very suddenly, basically just fires and revs and gone. The fuel pump was either AC Delco or Delphi, it was the OEM and I did have to change the plug.

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 9:56 AM
SERVICE WRITER

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_fpr_1.gif

#9 is the regulator, pull the cover off and look on the rail.

Did you try the ether?

Of all the things you replaced, the only thing I questioned was the fuel pump. Didn't they check fuel pump pressure before replacing it? That would have told them it wasn't the problem.

As far as the problem, has the check engine light come on? Also, I need you to check something for me. When the engine is cold and doesn't start, I need you to see if it is getting spark and fuel to the engine. Here are the how to's for that.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

If both check out good, I would say replace the temp sensor. It is what tells the computer how rich to make the fuel mixture based on outside temp and coolant temp. Basically, it has taken the place of the choke on the old carbs.

Let me know what you find.

Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 2:00 PM
BUGMAN696
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2000 Chevy Silverado Four Wheel Drive Automatic

I was having problems with the a/c not coming on and the blower not coming off of the floor we had the dash off to try to troubleshoot it and have still not fixed that. However I jumped into the truck to move it and now it will not start. I have good power to the ignition and intrument cluster but no crank at all. I tried to overide the safety by going in neutral and nothing. Any ideas?

Monday, February 6th, 2017 AT 3:11 AM (Merged)

Is it cranking over and will not start or just won't crank at all/nothing?

BUGMAN696

It was doing absolutely nothing. This truck has alot of wiring issues and I got it started thanks. Here is another one for you though. The ac will not engage and the blower only comes on the floor. All levels of air work but I cannot change to the other settings and cannot get the compressor to kick on.

Compressor not kicking on -could be freon, clutch and relay problem

BUGMAN696

I am 90 % sure the freon levels are fine and I tested the relay and all fuses are in working order. I gotta think there is a loose connection or bad wire someplace behind the dash. Are the two in correlation to eachother on this truck. The compressor not coming on, the recirculator button not coming on, and not being able to change from the floor setting. All 4 fan speeds work correctly but I cannot move it off the floor on any setting

BUGMAN696

Also the heat works and when put to the cold setting it just brings the outside temp air in but kicks heat off. Any correlations?

You need to concentrate why the compressor is not coming on. As for your venting could be an aix/blend/mode door problems to include vacuum and actuators and the HVAC control module.

YOSHIE
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
  • RWD

Truck ran great one day then the next day would not start checked timing (ok) replaced cam & crank sensor & cap & rotor and spider injector regulator plugs (ac delco) fuel pressure 60 psi + spark very week and intermediate very light orange spark not blue like my other truck with same motor

-1

Scan for codes and check fuses in under hood fuse box.

YOSHIE

I did I am a mechanic but we cannot figure it out no codes

Try resetting anti theft and check crank sensor also check rotor to see if it's turning or not the gear may be stripped on dist if rotor turns then that may be the cause.

YOSHIE

Did that also I bypassed the security system it was the original reason it did not start connection was bad at the key fixed that then got the security light to come on then did the bypass and light now flashed then reset 3 15 min intervolts. Rotor turns fine, I replaced the crank & cam sensors but spark is very weak I have a spark tester which shows spark but only every 3rd or 4th turn it is not constant

Try these tests in pics

CINCH_0202
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

I have a 2000 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 with a vortec 350. When I try to start it will rumble a little like it wants to start and won't. I started this a couple months ago and did it once. It has done it a few times now the truck will not start just rumbles a little. I have changed the fuel filter that is all. The last time truck started it ran good but cut out some when until it warmed up and doesn't seem to have the pull it use to when I hook on to bigger trailers. It has died a couple times at idle which it never has before but fired right up. I have done some online research on this and have no clue where to start.

Scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge first auto parts rent it. Also check fuses under hood.

TOM==TOM
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 98000 miles

the engine will not start. There is nothing on the dash, radio, or the emergency flashers.
It is not a dead battery.
I have checked the fusses in the fuse box.
Is there a in line fuse between the fuse box and the ing switch?

Check all the fusible links if okay -test your ignition switch