Truck will not start

JAMIEDALLEN0481
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
Engine Mechanical problem V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 191000 miles

Ok here is the situation. I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3L with about 191,000 miles. The problem I am having is that the truck will not start when it is very cold outside (below 30 F). When attempting to start the motor turns over great but never fires up, after about 5 min. There is a "thud" like sound immediately after I let off the key, not very loud, but noticeable. After continuing to try to start (about 15 sec at a time) finally after about 10 min or so it will start and run beautifully like there was never a problem. The only time this happens is on the first start of the morning when it is cold, after that it starts every time, runs perfect. I don't understand
I took it to the dealer and they told me it was most likely the intake gasket, I replaced it, same problem. Then I was told it was the fuel pump, replaced it and the filter, same problem. Then was told it was either the gas or anti-freeze freezing, now I'm running 97 octane w/ Sea Foam and anti-freeze rated at -41 F at about 75% mix, and I'm still having the same problem. Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, January 6th, 2010 AT 3:33 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Try spraying ether into the throttle body when the problem is present. Does it then start and run for a few seconds or so.

IF so check your fuel pressure regulator for leakage, The 5.3s had a problem with this condition. Sometimes you would get a raw fuel scent under the hood that helps shed light. If you remove the vacuum line to the regulator and see fuel, the regulator is blown

IF this doesn't pan out, the next two things I would check for is first fuel pressure that HAS to be in spec.

And check for spark presence with a spark tester.

This guide should help us

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Post back if this doesn't get on on track and we can go from there.

(BTW what brand of fuel pump? Seen way too many aftermarket problem childs. About the only one I trust anymore is a delphi. I think the connectors are suppossed to be changed at the same time on those...)
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 4:54 AM
JAMIEDALLEN0481
How would you go about checking the fuel pressure regulator? Sometimes when trying to start it it will run for a second at the most and die, not slowly but very suddenly, basically just fires and revs and gone. The fuel pump was either AC Delco or Delphi, it was the OEM and I did have to change the plug.
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 9:56 AM
SERVICE WRITER

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_fpr_1.gif

#9 is the regulator, pull the cover off and look on the rail.

Did you try the ether?

Of all the things you replaced, the only thing I questioned was the fuel pump. Didn't they check fuel pump pressure before replacing it? That would have told them it wasn't the problem.

As far as the problem, has the check engine light come on? Also, I need you to check something for me. When the engine is cold and doesn't start, I need you to see if it is getting spark and fuel to the engine. Here are the how to's for that.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

If both check out good, I would say replace the temp sensor. It is what tells the computer how rich to make the fuel mixture based on outside temp and coolant temp. Basically, it has taken the place of the choke on the old carbs.

Let me know what you find.
+1
Thursday, January 7th, 2010 AT 2:00 PM
SLNYLUN
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2000 Silverado starting problem. 95000 miles. 4.8 liter V-8. Starter just whines and doesn't engage. Though it was starter solenoid. Replaced starter and problem persists. Any ideas?

Stan N.
Tuesday, May 26th, 2020 AT 8:17 PM (Merged)
Sorry for the late reply. Can you remove flywheel cover and watch starter drive gear kick out and engage flywheel? When you removed the old starter were there any shims, did you reuse?
Another thought is your flywheel has a problem, Sometimes you can move flywheel just a little so starter drive gear can engage different flywheel teeth. See if it helps?
GOLDMAN
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
About 6 months ago my truck began having problems, turing the key would do nothing. The radio works and all the electronics, but when the key is turned past on, nothing happens. I messed around with the fuse box and the starter, and when I was about to give up it just started.

This has occured about once a month since then, and now it is getting more common, it happened twice in the last week.

The starter is not making any sound but there is a click in the electronic box in the engine compartment.
RHALL77
When thjis happends see if you are getting voltage at the starter. Also see if there is voltage coming out of the fuse box. You may have a wire shorting out or a bad connection in the fuse box.
GOLDMAN
There is definitely power to the starter at all times, I dont think Im getting power to the solinoid though. I guess it is a short from the box to the solenoid or maybe the solenoid needs to be replaced. Just wondering if someone else has had this problem
RHALL77
Did you check and see if you were getting power at the solinoid
Tuesday, May 26th, 2020 AT 8:18 PM (Merged)
GOLDMAN
I really didnt check, I will have to do that next time.

The reason I didnt check is that I try to start it and nothing, I might try 20 times and then for no reason it just cranks, I am still trying to figure out exactly where the issue is and then, bam, were going again.

And it wont happen for a couple weeks. The last time it happened was last week and it has been starting great since.

I think I might have to turn it over to someone that knows, but I know if I bring it in they are going to say that it starts fine, there is nothing to do.

Will it record as an error if they run a diagnostic on it? Even if nothing is wrong when I get it to a computer.
RHALL77
That system will not record in the PCM.
CRIMSONPRIDE65
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
2000 Chevy Silverado 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 2000 Silverado. I had a front clip installed now it will crank but only runs for a few seconds. I've been told it may be a security problem. Had it scanned. No error codes. Went through the reset sequence: Turn key to crank but don't start. Let go into run position. Wait 10 minutes. Watch security light. (No security light showing. Just battery light) turn key off for 10 seconds. Repeat process 6 times. Still won't start. Plenty of fire. Fuel pump working.
BLACKOP555
Perform a running fuel pressure test just to be sure about the pump.
GOLDMAN
Yeah, thats what I thought, I guess im just stuck waiting until it dies again and working through things.

Hopefully it will be at home where I can figure out whats happening, thanks for your help
JOETHV8
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO

Here is my problem. The truck fires right up when it is cold in the morning. After driving it long enough for it to get to full operating temp and then shutting it off and letting it sit for an hour or so, getting it started again is a real bear. What happens is the engine cranks for a good 5-10 seconds and then the engine chokes to a idel after it turns over. Keep in mind, the engine fires right back up if I shut the engine off and turn it back on a minute or two later, this is only after it sits a few hours.

I have a few different ideas as to what this could be, but am not sure. Fuel system pressure? Control Module? Fuel pump? I'd like a pro's opinion before I start spending money on parts and time on repair.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hearing from you.

JACK42
Check the fuel pressure regulator to see if it is leaking. It is on the fuel rail on the drivers side and has a vacuum line that goes to the intake. If blown it can dump raw fuel into the engine causing a rich condition and a lack of fuel pressure.
HILLBOY
  • 2000 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
My silverado had a bad fuel gauge that would fluctuate, no problem, I watched my fuel, well it finally got me ( I ran out) and I put gas in it and it would not start, it would fire but it's like it's sucking air and then die. I replaced the crank sensor because someone put a portable computer on it and that code came up. Well, it still doesn't start, It did run a minute on ether, can anyone tell me what to do next.
DENNYP
Sounds like you need a fuel pump. Check the fuel pressure. You should have around 55-60psi
TPOWERS28
Start with the cheaper fix first replace the Fuel Filter sometimes they swell and clog the fuel line. Next check to see if the fuel pump is turning on you can hear it when you turn the ignition to on. You will be able to hear it best if you listen underneath the driver side by your gas tank. If no power is getting to the pump you wont be able to hear it so check your relays and it could also be the fuel pump piece of the COMPUTER. If all that checks in then it is probably the fuel pump. Fuel Filter = $15 Fuel Pump = $250 Computer Fuel Pump Piece = $150
DENNYP
What is a computer fuel pump piece? I have been a tech for many years, and this is a new one for me.

Sponsored links