CHEVY CLUNKING NOISE

2000 Chevrolet Silverado

2000chevyman

October, 11, 2008 AT 10:09 PM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2000 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual 172000 miles

I just rebuilt the rear axle in my silverado, but now that I did that there is a clunking noise coming from the truck. The noise only starts once I reach about 30mph. The noise also stops once I left off of the accelerator. I was curious as to if this noise would be caused by the universal joints, or if it is another problem. This noise has got me stumped as to what could be the problem b/c I have replaced every part in the rear end except for the u-joints, and the transmission was repaired about 30,000 miles ago.

James W.

October, 11, 2008 AT 10:28 PM

The u-joints are the first thing I would check. Optimum speed for a bad joint to show up is 35-45 MPH. If u-joints check out OK, check the slop in the pinion yoke. You shouldn't be able to turn it more than 1/2" on the outside edge of the yoke. When you put the rearend back together, did you check the preload and the backlash?

2000chevyman

October, 12, 2008 AT 11:29 PM

Yes I checked the preload and the backlash. I was just curious as to if the noise was coming from the universal joints or not because those were the only things that I did not replace even though I did regrease them before I put the driveshaft back on the truck.

James W.

October, 13, 2008 AT 1:38 AM

I would check joints anyway to make sure there's no slop or binding.

Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Mustang
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn LS1