CHEVY FREON LEAK

1997 Chevrolet Silverado

Stanley Bostic

March, 31, 2009 AT 10:03 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1997 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 310000 miles

I put dye in the system, but still than see a leak. I was told two different answers by two different repair shop (1) I need a new compressor (2) It probably leaking from the evaporate since we can't see the dye. Please help

mhpautos

March, 31, 2009 AT 11:24 PM

Hi there,

If it is leaking from the evaporator, I would find a work shop that has an electronic refrigerant detector, this will pick up any traces of refrigerant on the cabin, under the dash and in the vents, you will need to park re charge the system to do this test, start here.

DCS1998

April, 1, 2009 AT 1:27 AM

Not sure where yours is leaking from but, make sure you replace the valve cores on both the " High" and " Low" side before re-charging the system.
Had a guy at work (he did HVAC work on the side) tightn mine up and it worked for a year or so, but then I had to re-place the valve core(s).
Think I paid 3-4 dollars for the asortment pack at the parts store. Very cheap investment for when its 100 degrees outside.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Air Condition Condenser Replacement
Air Conditioner Condenser Fan Relay Replace