CHEVY SERPENTINE BELT WON'T STAY ON

1992 Chevrolet Silverado

ggw5911

March, 28, 2008 AT 5:01 PM

1992 Chevy Silverado V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

I drive a chevy 1500 4x4. Recently the belt started squealing very loudly and slipped off one of the pulleys, since the belt was in bad condition I decided to replace it. When I got the new belt on the tension looked to be about right only about 1/4 to 1/2 of an inch of deflection. But when I started the truck up is started squealing and the belt slipped off again. Does this mean I need a new belt tensioner?

mastertechtim

March, 28, 2008 AT 5:05 PM

This meaqns something is probably seized. With the belt off, physically turn every single pulley and look for the one that is rough to spin or is wobbling. Get back to us

merlin2021

March, 28, 2008 AT 5:05 PM

Probably, also check all pulleys, any out of alignment with the rest? If there is an idler change that too.

ggw5911

March, 29, 2008 AT 9:08 PM

The AC compressor pulley was siezed. Is there a way for me to fix this without having to get a new compressor installed.

merlin2021

March, 30, 2008 AT 6:53 AM

If you can locate one at a junkyard, it's held on by a 5/16th bolt, and a snap ring. If the compressor is good! Can be the bearing in the pulley.

ggw5911

March, 30, 2008 AT 9:12 AM

Thanks alot guys. I think its the bearing in the pulley because I can get it to spin if I hold it in just the right position.

Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Saturn Vue
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz
Serpentine Belt Replacement
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevy 1500