CHEVY U JOINT REPLACMENT

2002 Chevrolet S-10

abbebrem

June, 7, 2008 AT 1:39 PM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2002 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 85000 miles

02 chevy s10 4.3l v6 It seems I need to replace the u joints, I took it to a shop they say that I've got five u joints. I cannot replace just the noisie one alone, that all five must be replaced. I got underneith the truck but could not locate them. Does this sound right, and how could I tell If the u joints are really the problem.

manila101

June, 12, 2008 AT 5:49 PM

I replaced one on my truck last year(2001 4.3L 2W/drive. You have to jack up the truck and crawl underneath(make sure your jack is reliable and secured or put it on jackstand) play with the driveshaft by turning it back and forth. The bad U joint will have a lot of play and bad bearings. Also the truck would vibrate w/noise when you speed up. I have to bring down the front end of the drive shaft(where the bad U joint, make shure you mark the drive shaft and the axel housing so when you put it back it will be on the original position)) then just pull it out carefully from the transmission spline(it will slide out). Once the driveshaft is out you can replace the U joint. Note: if you have the original U joint it probably have the manufacturer glue and you need a blow torch to melt the glue to seperate the u joint from driveshaft. I have to take mine to the shop and have it take out and put new in(got new one from autozone) for $45.00. Good luck.

amberprimrose

August, 7, 2009 AT 7:19 AM

You have to make sure the vehicle isn't in gear when you crawl under to check if the clunky noise really is your universal. It should be in neutral, otherwise, it won't necessarly make the noise.

Replace Drive Shaft U-Joint Like a Pro
Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars
Wheel Stud Replacement Chevrolet Cavalier
Automatic Transmission Service