1990 CHEVY S-10 LIGHTS

• Gypsy81165
  • 1990 CHEVROLET S-10

1990 Chevy S-10 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 76,000 miles

I discovered that I have no tail lights or side marker lights. The brake and turn signals work. I checked the fuses and they are good. There is power going to the bulbs so I replaced one bulb to see if it worked and it didn't. The kid that owned the truck had a toggle switch for a subwoofer and when the truck was sold he took out the switch. The switch was located above the headlight/parking/dimmer switch. I looked behind the switch and it does not appear that he spliced into the wires. After I looked at the wires I turned on the parking lights and the tail lights worked and the drivers side marker and the right hand turn signal stays on in the dashboard and that is the tail light I replaced. Now if I turn on the head lights they all go out I am back to just having brake lights, headlights and turn signals. Any suggestions?

Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 8:56 PM

• Zackman

Try this. Remove the headlight/park/dimmer switch from the dash and unplug the connector. Check the connector for possible signs of damage, burn mark, or frayed/cut wires. Do the same thing on the switch side.

Swap front side marker/turn lamps left to right. Plug the connector and the switch socket back together, and try turning on your taillight. And then, turn on the headlight. Check operations, all four sides. Then turn on your headlamps. Re-check operations.

If you have the same problem, you may have a bad headlamp/park/dimmer switch.

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 12:27 AM
  • Gypsy81165

I will try this and let you know. Thanks for the reply

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 9:15 PM
  • Zackman

No problem.

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 11:32 PM
  • Gypsy81165

Ok I replaced the dimmer switch and headlight/parking switch. Replaced the lower front marker and both tail lights. All are working even the plate light. The only thing not working is the dashboard lights but I'm not worried about that. I don't need that to pass inspection in the future.

Thanks for all of your help.

Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 7:15 PM
  • Zackman

That is probably your fuse. Check this one.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/55316_90s10fuse_1.jpg

Friday, April 10th, 2009 AT 1:44 PM