1987 CHEVY S-10 4X4 WONT ENGAGE. HELP!

• Clapper33
  • 1987 CHEVROLET S-10

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1987 Chevy S-10 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual

87 s10, 4x4 wont engage, this is what I have figured out so far. The 4wd actuator isnt getting a vacuum to lock the hubs, so I took a vacuum brake bleeder and hooked it to the actuator and the 4wd works perfect, but the 4h 4L indicator lights dont work, and never have. So where do I start? The switch for the console lights? Some sort of vac switch? Vac pump? Something else? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 4:04 PM

• Tooomanytoys

I would test the switch. If its not lighting up it may have an open. Test to see if your getting 12 volts to the switch if so I would see about finding a switch to swap out. Maybe from a junk yard or something.

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 4:07 PM
  • Clapper33

Ok, how do I test the switch? I took the floor console panel off and there are 2 connectors to the panel indicator lights. The one on the left im assuming is the feed or power, it has 3 wires, the other connector on the right goes from the 2h 4h N 4L lights to the switch. So just check for power on the left connector that feeds it or check at the switch? How would I do that? Or could it be as simple as a fuse? Thanks.

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 5:21 PM
  • Tooomanytoys

Floor console? Is this truck push button fourwheel drive, or do you have to push a lever? Normally the push button stlye is mounted on the dash.

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 6:59 PM
  • Clapper33

Its not push button, its a 1987. It has a lever mounted in the floor console next to the shifter (5 speed)

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010 AT 8:08 PM
  • Tooomanytoys

I'm sorry thought it was electronic. In that case pull the front differential actuator out. And see if it moves when you select 4 wheel drive. Most likely actutaor is sticking. Or you have a vacuum leak.

Thursday, February 11th, 2010 AT 1:21 PM

Other Transfer Case 4x4 Engage Questions