BURNING OIL

2001 Chevrolet

joewoj

Engine problem
2001 Other Chevrolet Models 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 65000 miles

I have a 2001 Prizm that appears to burn oil. When you first start it, it smokes from the tail pipe. After about five minutes, there is no smoke. But, I am adding more than two quarts of oil, in order to get a reading on the dipstick, about every 100 miles. And, even when I put new oil in it, when I check the dipstick shows the oil to be black. The car still gets very good mileage, about 30 mph, doesn't stall out, and runs smooth on the highway. It does seem to idle a little fast at stoplights and in park. What are your thoughts.

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

mmprince4000

March, 2, 2009 AT 7:25 AM

Sorry for the delayed response.

Blue smoke on start up is generally valve seals, but in this case the valve seals would have to be completely gone (or almost gone) to be burning that much oil.

Have a compression test performed to make sure rings are good.

To test valve seals, run car up to about 25-30 mph in first gear and let off gas, if you see blue smoke out exhaust, then seals will need to be replaced.
You have to remove the timing chain, camshafts, lifters etc. To get to seals.

Have you ever run the car low on oil, or went a lot of miles between oil changes?

It is unusual for an '01 to have seal problems and at this mileage.

Crankcase Ventilation System
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Camaro
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz ML
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro