2004 CHEVY MONTE CARLO SPEEDOMETER

• keller44
  • 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

Interior problem
2004 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60,000 miles

Recently my speedometer has gone completely out of whack. Its has reached over 120 when I'm going about 30, and at that time when I stopped it would go down to about 70. Right now its parked and stopped at about 50. Not sure if this is a fuse problem, cluster problem or what it might be.

Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 4:07 PM

• Docfixit

Check engine light on? Any problem trans shifting? If no to both then speedo head problem.

Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 4:10 PM
  • keller44

No to both, also noticed that the background lights to the speedometer and the others to not be working, but the lights that show me if i'm in drive or park are working fine

Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 7:39 PM
  • mykjak

I had the same problem a year ago. The entire instrument cluster had to be replaced

Saturday, January 31st, 2009 AT 3:12 PM
  • coaster2u

It is your cluster, the gears in them are cheap and they break. You can buy a new one from the dealer-($$ expensive)or remove the old one and get it repaired which is much cheaper
I am in the same boat as we speak and am trying to find out how to remove the cluster if anyone happens to know?

Saturday, June 20th, 2009 AT 4:27 PM
  • coaster2u

Thanks for the reply, but I have found a repair place in Canada at the same price

Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 5:44 AM