2003 Chevy Monte Carlo Acceleration problems

WIMSATT82
  • 2003 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
My Monte Carlo has a hesitation in the acceleration at higher rpm's. When you try to accelerate, it is sluggish. It will accelerate fine at lower rpm's, but once you step on it, there's nothing. It hesitates and sometimes eventually speeds up. Most of the time, either one of two things happen: either the car doesn't respond, or the rpm's jump up with no actual acceleration. I had the cruise control on today and when it tried to speed up to maintain the speed, the rpm's jumped up and a whining noise came from under the hood. I have replaced the fuel filter, plugs and wires, pcv valve, and used injector cleaner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 12:04 PM

JASONRAY
Based on your question and the way you've worded it, it sounds like your transmission is slipping. Check the transmission fluid. If the RPM's increase and the vehicle speed does NOT, the transmission is slipping. That's where I'd start.
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 5:47 PM
WIMSATT82
I checked the transmission fluid and it seems fine and doesn't smell used. Would you recommed still changing the fluid and filter?
Wednesday, December 3rd, 2008 AT 6:55 PM
JASONRAY
Not yet. If the level is ok and it isn't burned looking or smelling, then that may not be the problem.

Moving on. Is the 'Check Engine" light or "Service Engine Soon" light on? If so, we need to see what the codes are. Look for maybe a Throttle Position Sensor code. If there's an "OPEN" spot in the TPS, the PCM (computer) doesn't know exactly what the throttle position is and therefore doesn't know what to do with the injectors. It could either starve the engine for fuel or inject too much. Remember, this is just another possibility. I keep re-reading your post and my mind keeps going back to the transmission, though. It's pretty 'cut and dry'. If the RPM's go up but the vehicle doesn't speed up, the power is being lost somewhere. Don't rule out the tranny. Let's try this. Re-post and describe, in as much detail as you can, exactly what's happening and when it happens. Be very specific. This could be a fuel injection problem, and ignition problem, or, like I said, a transmission problem. I'll be waiting for your reply. I'm going to do my very best to help ya.
+3
Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 5:54 PM

Related Engine Stall While Driving Content