2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SECURITY ISSUES

• 1 POST

Computer problem
2001 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 34500 miles

About twice a month, my car will not start - everything works except it won't start. If I wait 10 minutes or so and try it again it will start. Once in a while driving down the road, the security light comes on - nothing happens but the light stays on until I shut it off and most likely it will not be on next time I start it. I have tried using a different key, doesn't matter. If you can solve this problem, I will donate big time because I have had this to two dealers who can't tell me what's wrong with it. I have had the car for four years + and as you can see, it has very low mileage. I would like to keep it a long time. Thanks for your help.

Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 1:13 PM

Your having a problem with an intermittant failure in the Passlock security system. It would require the use of a Tech2 scan tool to even begin to accurately diagnose the problem. I can tell you that the most common failure in these is the sensor in the ignition lock. No guarantees that is actually your problem but I can give you a way to bypass that specific component if your interested.

Here's how you can bypass the sensor.

Go buy a 2.2k (2200 ohm) ohm resistor at an electronics store. Go to radio shack and just get one as close to that as you can. Remove the covers on the steering column and locate three small wires at the lock cylinder. Cut the yellow wire and the orange/black wire or on some vehicles, it's the yellow and black wires. Solder the resistor between those wires. Tape it up and put the covers back on and follow this relearn procedure. If this doesn't work you have a wiring problem in the steering column.
30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ( the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
The vehicle learns the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock√ Sensor Data Code and/or password).
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if desired (history DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles).

Monday, August 30th, 2010 AT 1:27 PM