1995 Chevy Monte Carlo retrieving trouble codes

MONTEZ4
  • 1995 CHEVROLET MONTE CARLO
I own a monte carlo z34 & my check engine light is on. TThe Hayns repair manual I have says I need a code reader but I went to have it read at autozone & they tell me that all I have to do is jump the two terminals. I told the guy I tried that & it didn't work that was why I went down there! So how do I retieive the codes? I have a reader now but it don't fit the terminal. So now what? Any help at this point is welcome.
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 3:43 PM

RACEFAN966
I would get a paper clip and jump term a and b and then turn the key on engine off and count the blinks. They will start with a code 12 it will be one blink short pause and then two blinks and then a longer pause and the next code. When you get a code 12 again it is done. To clear the codes after you get the codes then disconnect the batt for about 1 min.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_31.jpg

+1
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 3:54 PM
MONTEZ4
I've tried that but no luck! There are only two wires that go to the data link connector, terminals A & M, B is not there, so I can't jumb A & B! This is why i'm having problems, its a 3.4l DOHC i've got a code reader but I guess I need a reader for an OBD1 or what?
Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 8:58 PM
RACEFAN966
You do not need a reader to do this it is term a and b and jump with a paper clip and turn the key on engine off and count blinks. If that don't work then call around and see if a parts store close by will do a free scan as many do. Let me know what you find.
-1
Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 5:19 PM
WATERMAN1944
I am having same problem with my 1995 z34 can"t get codes out have check eng lite abs and low coolant has ob 1 code key willnot fit paper clip still gets no response
+1
Saturday, March 5th, 2011 AT 2:44 PM
RACEFAN966
If you would include a pic of the OBD port. GM and others in late 95 had what is called OBD 1.5. THis is an obd 1 car with an obd2 port.
+1
Wednesday, March 16th, 2011 AT 3:01 PM