2004 Chevy Malibu brake repair

LVW
  • 2004 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Brakes problem
2004 Chevy Malibu Automatic 98800 miles

I took my Malibu to shop #1 for a tire patch and they told me my brakes needed repair even though they were not making any noise. I told them to repair them but in the following days my brakes began squealing. When I went back to shop #1 they told me it was "brake dust" which I have never heard of before. I told all this to shop #2 who looked at my brakes and told me "Well a Malibu's brakes are different than other cars and sometimes they just make noise." Are these valid reasons for why my brakes are squealing or is there something really wrong with them?
Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 5:58 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Brake squeal can be caused by excessive build up of brake dust, this is the material of the brake pads as they wear, but more often it is caused by hot spots on the rotors, and if cheap pads are used they have a lot of resin in them and you can get a glaze effect on the rotors, normally high quality pads and getting the rotors machined will normally fix this problem.

Tuesday, October 27th, 2009 AT 6:07 PM