CHEVY INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET

2003 Chevrolet Malibu

RudyP3A

August, 11, 2008 AT 7:13 PM

2003 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 104000 miles

I have just replaced the lower intake manifold gasket. In order to replace the gasket I had to pull the rocker arms and pushrods out. Once I replaced the gasket, I reinstalled the rocker arms and pushrods and put all components back together. Upon startup, the valves are making a lot of noise and the engine is idling very rough. My brother is an ASE mechanic and told me that this model has hydraulic lifters and the motor needs about 20 minutes running to pump the lifters back up. I did that but I'm still experiencing a rough idle and valve noise. Any suggestions?

mastertechtim

August, 11, 2008 AT 7:15 PM

The push rods are 2 different sizes for intake and exhaust. Are you sure they are in the right spots?

RudyP3A

August, 12, 2008 AT 1:19 PM

Thanks for your reply, but yes I did put the correct pushrods in the right spots. When I pulled them out I kept everything together and in order and then when I put them back in I put them in the same order. My brother is saying that sometimes he's seen a stubborn lifter that takes a while to pump up. Your help is greatly appreciated.

mastertechtim

August, 14, 2008 AT 8:36 PM

Did the lifters pump up yet? Is she still making noise? Let me know

RudyP3A

August, 14, 2008 AT 9:14 PM

Holy cow Tim, you were right. I guess when I set them aside in order one of the pushrods must have rolled next to another one and I didn't notice. I had the wrong pushrods in the wrong spot but and ended up bending one. I purchased replacement pushrods, slapped it all back together and she's purring like a kitten now. Thanks for your help, you saved me a lot of sleep.

mastertechtim

August, 15, 2008 AT 6:03 AM

Awesome. I kind of thought that is what happened. I have been there myself

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro